C.G. Drews's Reviews > Something in Between

Something in Between by Melissa de la Cruz

Oct 18, 2016

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2016, young-adult

I know this is a very personal story to the author (as said in the author's note) plus it's about immigrants and the themes of "where do I belong?" that come with living in a country you weren't born in, and also the politics behind immigrations and how horrible the world can be to them. But overall the writing didn't work for me and the romance was so full of miscommunications I couldn't even ship it. (The whiny back-and-forth "we're together, no we're broken up!" is really not something I have patience for.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something in Between.

March 31, 2016 – Shelved
March 31, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
October 18, 2016 – Started Reading
October 18, 2016 –
page 153
35.42% "This is my third book by this author (previous two I rated 1 and 3 stars)...and I gotta say....still not working for me. Not even a smidge."
October 18, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary
October 18, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
October 18, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
October 18, 2016 – Finished Reading

aria [dear darling reader] i was actually pretty excited about this because, I believe, the main character's a Filipino? I think? But yeah, I get what you mean. Sometimes, it isn't really the story that we don't like; it's more of the way it was written. Great review Cait! :)

message 2: by Clodagh (new)

Clodagh Yeah the cover is gorgeous except for the fact it's maybe y'know missing New Zealand???

message 3: by Caia (new)

Caia Enjoyed her series about fallen angels, the blue bloods, although not a mega favorite still mostly enjoyable. Never read anything else by her, though.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

how can there be a novel whose 14 - 24 y. o. main character is perfect??!! its impossible??!?!!

message 5: by Jess 📚 (new)

Jess 📚 I'm only like half way through and I think half of the problem is a woman in her mid forties writing as an 18 year old/ the whole narration seemed to be trying too hard/ she used the phrase "you feel me?" When addressing the reader- there's been more than one time I've had to put it down due to cringing

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Denisa: Well, I firstly encourage you to go back and actually read my review of Something In Between because I do not ever say the character was "unrealistic" or "unrelatable". Not once. Hmm. So I literally have no idea where you're coming from with telling me I'm saying words that I am not saying."

(view spoiler)

Zeee  (I Heart Romance & YA) Great review, Cait and I'm so sorry that you didn't enjoy it. While I partly agree with your thoughts, I actually enjoyed it.

One thing I would like to share though is that I can see why Jasmine's parents still encouraged her to apply to good schools even though they knew that they were undocumented. That is actually part of our culture, to think that things will turn out alright in the end. As to this being the right way of thinking, I'm not so sure but it is deeply ingrained in our culture. I think the author didn't delve deeper into this, though, which I think she should have.

I didn't care much for the romance, too.

Aliza I have to agree the review and the comments. I am a big fan of other books by the author like the Blue Bloods series. Many of the characters in that book were the same as as Jasmine is in this book so I don't understand what happened. Is it a branding thing? It's a "Seventeen Magazine" book so maybe they wanted to age it down. Lots of the magazine readers are much younger than 17. It was so stilted though. The story is such an important one to tell right now but the way it's written takes so much away from that.

Aliza I was also really happy to see a Filipina character as I had hoped to recommend this to my little cousin and I found that when parts of the culture were explained, it also felt stilted. And this comes from reading many books from people of other cultures and my own (Dominican).

message 10: by Ellie (new) - rated it 1 star

Ellie bless your blooody soul this book SUCKED !!!!!!!

Kristen I completely agree with everything you said here!!

Amy's Book Reviews It's sooooo predictable.

message 13: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Thank you for this review - I'm about a third of the way in (at the eeek! guy radar part, actually. lol) and I was wondering if this was going to get better. I think I might abandon ship.

Hannah Yu THIS IS EXACTLY HOW I FELT!!!!!!!!! It was so disapointing :(((

message 15: by Mina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mina Cole You did it. You put my exact thoughts about this book into words. THANK YOU