Carrie Mansfield 's Reviews > The Queen of Blood

The Queen of Blood by Sarah Beth Durst

Sep 25, 2016

Thanks to Harper Voyager for the finished copy for review consideration.

I'm so rusty when it comes to writing reviews right now, so I'll leave it like this:

Pros:
- A great premise: humans are in an uneasy balance with the elemental spirits of the world. The spirits are torn between the push and pull of wanting to create and to destroy and technically need a Queen to contain the chaos, but have enough consciousness to not necessarily want a Queen and the story is set in a time when the spirits are starting to rebel against that desire to be in balance. It's a great time to set a story.

- A great protagonist: our heroine would be a Hufflepuff heroine: she's weak. She's knows she weak. But she gets SO MUCH DONE because she works hard, she's determined and she has a sense of purpose. You genuinely pull for her when she fights to overcome her difficulties, especially towards the end.

- Durst avoids the trap that so many writers of school-era fic falls into: there is antagonistic classmate that is bitchy just for the sake of being bitchy. She's determined, and she'll do what it takes to get what she wants, but she (gasp) has humanity and shows on multiple occasions a willingness to aide our protagonist because she could. It's SUCH a relief to see this, and wish more authors would do this.

- I love that this book deals with sex and sexuality as just a thing. Our heroine has sex multiple times and there's no commentary other than it was something that she needed and gave her comfort. I liked the relationship in the book, as subtle as it was.

- How they even up defeating the antagonist is A+ clever.

- There's a genuine darkness to this book, one that earns this book its spot on the adult shelf. I'm very glad she didn't make it into a YA; I think avoiding so many of the YA tropes only strengthened the novel. That said, I think this book IS very YA friendly and I think it kind of straddles that line between both shelves.

Cons:

- The antagonist is a wee bit one dimensional "addicted to power/will do anything to maintain it." I debated as to whether I really wanted to list it as a con, but I think there's enough nuance in the other characters that I'd liked to have seen a little more in her.

All told, I'm now very excited to see what comes! Waiting sucks :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen of Blood.

March 30, 2016 – Shelved