Lela's Reviews > Into the Dim

Into the Dim by Janet B.  Taylor

did not like it
bookshelves: disappointing, 2016-releases, fantasy, time-dimension-travel

I expected good things from this book, and I was let down BIG TIME! Honestly, I’m creating a Disappointing shelf because of this book….Aaargh. Only about 20-ish pages in and I was already considering DNFing it, but luckily for the book I had decided from this month onward to completely finish any book I read. However, unluckily for me the book did not get better and it was a struggle to complete even though I did finish it in two days, mainly because I wanted it over and done with.

I’m a big fan of time travel books and I will give a chance to any book that has a time travelling aspect in it. So when I heard that a YA Fantasy/Sci-Fi book was coming out with time travelling in it, and even being classed as an Outlander for teens, I was totally on board. However, I was about to be disappointed.

First off, I did not like the main character, Hope, nor did I like any of the other characters in the book. I just felt that I was not given enough, to like any of the characters, mainly because the book is from the point of view of Hope who I found unlikable and judgmental at times.

The book sometimes got so predictable for a YA book, for example, smart girl who doesn’t know how beautiful she really is, a future love triangle, a love interest with ties to the enemy and so on, which is why I think I see a few marking it as DNF not even halfway through the book.

I’ve only just read halfway through the first book in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, so I wouldn’t actually make a good judge to whether the book lives up to it being pitched as a YA version of Outlander.

Although I will say this, from what I’ve read so far in Outlander, Gabaldon is completely spot on with time travelling in her book, the settings, the culture, the people in the past. Which brings me to the another issue I had with the book, where I found it hard to fully immerse myself into the author’s portrayal of the past. I just felt she didn’t completely sell it convincingly to me.

Anyways I’m glad I’m finished with this book and I don’t think I will be continuing with this series because it just wasn’t for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Dim.

March 30, 2016 – Started Reading
March 30, 2016 – Shelved
March 30, 2016 –
page 0
0.0% "Starting on one of my many most awaited books for 2016, even though it's been getting mixed reviews....I'm scared...please don't let me down..."
April 1, 2016 – Shelved as: disappointing
April 1, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-releases
April 1, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy
April 1, 2016 – Shelved as: time-dimension-travel
April 1, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Giulia (new)

Giulia  Ouch! :/ I've only heard bad things about this book, I'm actually considering crossing it off my TBR.

message 2: by Lela (new) - rated it 1 star

Lela Giulia (Jun) wrote: "Ouch! :/ I've only heard bad things about this book, I'm actually considering crossing it off my TBR."

The reason I marked it as disappointing is because I was so looking forward to this, being a new time travelling YA series. While I wouldn't recommend it, if you decide to give it a chance you'll figure out within the first 20-40 pages whether you'll like it or not.

Lucia This book was such a disaster, right? And no, it is definitely not YA verison of Outlander. That was just false advertising to gain more readers...

message 4: by Lela (new) - rated it 1 star

Lela Lucia wrote: "This book was such a disaster, right? And no, it is definitely not YA verison of Outlander. That was just false advertising to gain more readers..."

Lucia Lela wrote: "I admit I was pulled in by the Outlander comparison, I wish I'd read your review before I read this book...lol "

They got me as well... I am huge fan of Outlander books and this was such a disappointment for me!

Sharon Please don't make the mistake of making yourself finish every book your start. Some books just aren't worth the trouble. I did like this one but, believe me, I abandon many, many books for not being worth my time.