Stephen's Reviews > The Naked Anabaptist: The Bare Essentials of a Radical Faith

The Naked Anabaptist by Stuart Murray

"No one can know Christ unless he follows after him in life...and no one can follow him unless he first knows him."

I grew up within the churches of Christ. However I always felt like an odd ball in the places the church of Christ resided during my life. This is partly to do with my fabulous parents, who constantly got our family's feet wet in all kinds of things. But it was partly because the churches of Christ had roots that were very Anabaptist and my family had stayed in touch with those roots despite the larger church moving on to more main stream evangelicalism, with some exceptions. (If you wanna see more about this check out Lee Camp's Mere Discipleship) Now I find myself a Pastor at a Mennonite church and its kinda weird not being the odd ball anymore.

The Naked Anabaptist tries to boil down some of the main qualities of the Anabaptist movement that have spoken to so many followers of Jesus. The book revolves around these 7 convictions, a survey of Anabaptis history, and some of the weaknesses of Anabaptism. I resonated with so many things in this book, from the above quote, to the language of followers, the view of christendom, to the section where Murray make sure to point out some of the weaknesses of Anabaptism.

I, like Murray, am not particularly worried about the end of christendom in the west, and hopefully not naive in the challenges that will/is bringing. I join the Anabaptist voice by thinking christendom actually hurt the Kingdom of God more than it helped it. Anabaptism is not the only voice for followers of Jesus in this new season, but it is an important one for all to look at and learn from. The Naked Anabaptist is a great place to start.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Naked Anabaptist.

Started Reading