Annamaria 's Reviews > Soft in the Head

Soft in the Head by Marie-Sabine Roger

24195966

bookshelves: books-abt-books, read-in-english, netgalley

"Daydreaming helps me think."

This book has been such a delightful and sweet story, a great companion of mine for the past two weeks. It deals with Germain, a 45 year old man who one day meets Margueritte, a very educated old woman who starts reading to him and who teaches him the value and the beauties of words. Germain is not sharp witted, his friends call him names and his mother has shamed him for it his entire life. He's reluctant when it comes to books. He cannot really read, words get messed up in his brain and he cannot spell them when he wants to look them up in the dictionary. Margueritte though doesn't mind and, above all else, opens up discussions about life, family and love. Germain notices how much he's grown since he's known the old woman and she has finally found herself someone caring who'll take care of her during the last years of her life.

"Books should not be loved selfishly."

Believe me when I say that I was heartbroken when the book came to an end and I had tears in my eyes when I finally did it. Beautiful!

I received this book from its publisher via netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soft in the Head.

March 30, 2016 – Shelved
March 30, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 30, 2016 – Shelved as: books-abt-books
April 2, 2016 – Started Reading
April 2, 2016 – Shelved as: read-in-english
April 3, 2016 –
4.0% "My professor would kick the translator of this book there where the sun doesn't shine. Why did he translate most of it with a heavy British slang? It feels so out of place!"
April 5, 2016 –
8.0% ""Words are like boxes we use to store thoughts the better to present them to others. [...] And yet what should matter is not the wrapping but what you put inside. There are beautiful gift-wrapped packages with pathetic shit inside, and crudely wrapped packages that contain treasures. That's why, when it comes to words, I'm suspicious, you understand?""
April 6, 2016 –
April 6, 2016 –
33.0% ""Books should not be loved selfishly.""
April 7, 2016 –
April 10, 2016 –
47.0% ""I was born into this world by accident and I stayed out of habit.""
April 14, 2016 – Shelved as: netgalley
April 14, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Emer (A Little Haze) Gorgeous review Annamaria, this sounds really wonderful :)

Toni So lovely. I've just started reading based on a friend's recommendation, but I would have read it based solely on your very touching review. Cheers.