Kristen Burns's Reviews > A Faerie's Curse

A Faerie's Curse by Rachel  Morgan

4 Stars

Full Review:
I don’t know why I waited two months to read this, I’ve never waited to read new books in this series since I always look forward to them, but it worked out well that I did because this was exactly what I needed to get out of my reading slump! It was definitely my favorite out of Calla’s books. It was steadily-paced, action-packed, funny, bittersweet, and even emotional at times. It had the same easy-yet-descriptive writing style of all the other Creepy Hollow books, the same lovable and kickass characters, and an intense, battle-filled climax. I even debated giving this 4.5 stars because I blew through it in two days and really can’t point out any actual flaws.

But anyway, onto some specifics. I mentioned that the book was funny, and while it wasn’t laugh-out-loud-throughout-the-whole-book funny (that’s just not the type of series this is), it did have a few great moments. I especially loved the capslock burning hand bits (that is legitimately how your thoughts would be in that scenario, haha) and the age difference conversation.

It was also kind of heart-breaking though because of one thing that happened. My poor favorite character! I felt bad for the other characters too, but I felt especially terrible for him. *SPOILER ALERT* (view spoiler) *END SPOILER ALERT*

But the tragedy, as terrible as it was, also brought some really touching family moments to this book. Obviously I always knew he was her big brother, but I guess I hadn’t realized in the other books just how close Calla was to Ryn and how much she valued their relationship.

There was also the romance, and that had its sweet moments too without being overpowering. Oftentimes when the love interest disappears for a large portion of a book it feels weird, but somehow he still felt present even when he was absent.

And of course the plot and character development were solid, as they usually are for this series. I didn’t like Calla in Book 4 when she was introduced as the new main character, but she matured, she grew, and she became a likeable character whom I was definitely rooting for. (Plus I liked how she trained at things instead of just being instantly good.)

I also like how Rachel Morgan seems to take some risks and go places other authors might not, but in a good way, like with the age difference thing I mentioned. I’ve always liked that Calla and Chase were 10-12 years apart in age since I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that, especially considering how the faeries have longer life spans.

So overall this was a book that sucked me in and a fantastic ending to Calla’s story. Now I’m just anxiously awaiting whoever’s story is going to come next!

Recommended For:
Fans of Books 1-5 in Rachel Morgan's Creepy Hollow series. Anyone who likes action-packed YA urban fantasy with faeries, lovable, kickass characters, and just enough emotion to make you feel invested!

Original Review @ Metaphors and Moonlight

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Faerie's Curse.

March 30, 2016 – Shelved
March 30, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
August 20, 2016 – Started Reading
August 21, 2016 –
7.0% "I think this is just what I need to get out of my reading slump! Being back in a world I'm already familiar with and characters I already care about, and they're already cracking me up."
August 22, 2016 –
100.0% "This definitely helped with my reading slump, but now I'm dying to know who the next part of the series will be about??!"
August 22, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016-books