Elinor Caiman Sands's Reviews > Defying Doomsday

Defying Doomsday by Tsana Dolichva

(Review from the author)
bookshelves: disability, my-brag-shelf

I have a story in this book so yes, I'm biased. Obviously I won't comment on my own contribution but I wanted to add how much I enjoyed everyone else's. I feel a little humbled really. All the stories are just so good and stand up equally well, those by relative newcomers as much as those by established writers.

Personal favourites:

And the Rest of Us Wait by Corinne Duyvis - the opening story. A truly gripping piece. It had me gasping out loud at one point. This is the type of story you can't put down.

Five Thousand Squares by Maree Kimberley - a rollicking ride through a rather watery apocalypse with some very plucky women.

I Will Remember You by Janet Edwards - the closing story in the book. This one was pretty un-put-downable as well.

Finally, Tea Party by Lauren E Mitchell - This was my personal favourite story in the book. Okay, so it was less of a rollercoaster ride than some of the others, but I just found it such a charming story. It reminded me of the first half of the film, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, before it turned dark and ugly. I loved the gentle humour in it. That's one thing you rarely if ever find in fiction featuring disabled characters, the fact that disability can be funny. As long as you're smiling with the disabled person rather than at them (a crucial distinction) humour is just fine.

But really, having just finished the book, the whole experience has left me smiling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defying Doomsday.

Finished Reading