Yvonne's Reviews > The Cracked Spine

The Cracked Spine by Paige Shelton

Delaney Nichols answers an unusual job ad for a bookstore, The Cracked Spine, in Scotland. They are looking for a bold adventurer for their bookshop that specializes in rare manuscripts and books. Although that description does not fit Delaney, she does love bookstores. After a long telephone conversation with the shop’s owner, Edwin MacAlister, Delaney is immediately hired. She packs her bags leaving her safe Kansas home and heading to another country to start a new life.

The Cracked Spine is everything Delaney hoped for…a quaint book shop with a couple of eccentric people working there. There’s even a very handsome bartender nearby. After one date with him, she definitely wants to get to know him better.

Things take a nasty turn when Edwin’s sister is brutally murdered. Delaney jumps right in to try and find the killer.

This is the first book in a brand new cozy mystery series and it’s off to a great start. Delaney is an interesting character. It’s hard to believe someone could just answer an ad for a job in another country, get hired sight unseen, and move to a country where she knows nobody but somehow it all worked in this story. I wish I had the guts to do what Delaney did :)

She has an amazing adventure to look forward to with a supporting cast made up of quirky, eccentric characters. The storyline moves along at a nice pace. I know I didn’t figure it out until Delaney did towards the end. It’s well written with characters that are well developed. It will leave readers anxiously awaiting for the next book. I hope it’s soon!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cracked Spine.

March 30, 2016 – Started Reading