Laura's Reviews > River Marked

River Marked by Patricia Briggs

2043222

I really enjoyed this latest Mercy Thompson book.

I think that watching Adam and Mercy get married and have a honeymoon was great fun, especially since we all know Mercy can't go 5 minutes without a new enemy.

This time, the Fae are involved in their honeymoon plans, which can come to no good. But we get (for the first time) a bit of her Native American heritage here.

We learn about Mercy's father. We also see a lot of Coyote, the Coyote.

In this book, Mercy is up against an ancient river monster and some Otterkin who are eating all the swimmers. The river monster can "mark" a human with her tentacles, and that person (now "river marked") follows her directions, whether it's drown yourself, drown your children, or bring her more people, they obey. And Mercy is the only one who can stop her.

The middle of the book is fairly slow, but the ending is great, and I loved seeing all the other gods like Coyote, and the ending is abrupt as always, but she had to use the walking stick of hers as a weapon. Giving a fae artifact blood is never a good idea. But I love how she handled it.

And hello Adam! I loved him, LOVED him in this installment-wish we'd seen more of him.

Overall another great installment in the Mercedes Thompson series, if a bit slow at times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read River Marked.

April 7, 2011 – Started Reading
April 7, 2011 – Shelved
April 7, 2011 –
page 12
3.68% "All right Alli, I'm finally moving forward with this one! Join me?"
April 7, 2011 –
16.0% ""I love you," I told him. "Yes," he smiled smugly, "You do." lol Oh Adam.."
April 9, 2011 –
25.0% "Weird vision"
April 9, 2011 –
25.0% ""Nothing says I'm sorry like a dead bunny""
April 10, 2011 –
80.0% "Ooh, so they called the old gods in. Interesting.."
April 10, 2011 –
100.0% "Wow, the letter to Adam? Awww, tearjerker!"
April 11, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Great review, Laurie. I wanted to like this book more, but for me it was just missing my favorite characters. I know that they were there in cameos, but still I wanted more of them, and more honeymoon time for Adam and Mercy.

I loved how his wolf responded to her once they were officially married.

Zeek Just started this last night! :)

Laura I hope you like it :)

Zeek Havent really been disappointed yet, so I cant see how I can't. I only read up to her getting Stefan out of the house so I havent gotten too far yet ...

Laura AH wrote: "Great review, Laurie. I wanted to like this book more, but for me it was just missing my favorite characters. I know that they were there in cameos, but still I wanted more of them, and more honeym..."

I loved how Adam's wolf was too :) I don't want to say anything else til Zeek is done, then we can spoil away! lol

Zeek oh you guys go ahead just write spoiler at the the top of your reply!