Just Commonly's Reviews > A Lesson in Love and Murder

A Lesson in Love and Murder by Rachel McMillan

19895197

Have you read my review on the first full novel of the Herringford & Watts Mysteries series, titled The Bachelor Girl's Guide to Murder by Rachel McMillan? If not, check it out now, before jumping in on this one for the sophomore edition to the series. We continue with the quirky dynamic duo of Merinda and Jem, along with the various sidekicks in their lives to solve yet another mystery. This time, we traipse through the streets of Toronto to the campaign scenes in Chicago. Adding a homage to an old Baker street case, the reference and love for the Sherlock Holmes fans are filled with whimsy and love. The characters and their personalities will wrap you in early on. Their knack for getting into "situations" will have you laugh out loud. The mystery itself adds a little flare to what is already a winning combination - historical details, quirky characters and an author that comes up with some eccentric and unconventional scenes, while balancing it with such details, you don't know what hit you.

Yes, book 2 is just as funny as the first one, but what makes this one different is the level of growth our main and supporting characters go through. O, Jasper. Poor guy! With our newly-weds, Jem and Ray, the miscommunication is at an all time high! How?! Why?! Yet, it's through these struggles that we see the apparent reliance in God. The Christian message is definitely much stronger in this book than the first, which was more hinted than obvious.

In all, a wonderful sequel, and one that lives up to the wonders and humor of the first. Don't miss out on this lovely series. Honestly, even the pages are beautiful (sorry if I'm repeating this, but it's true).

This review first appeared on Just Commonly blog.

NOTE: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own. For my review policy, please see my Disclosure page.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lesson in Love and Murder.

Finished Reading