Tocotin's Reviews > Men at Arms

Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett

Apr 07, 2011

bookshelves: contemporary-literature, fantasy, my-own-books, will-read-again
Read in April, 2011 — I own a copy

I like nearly all Discworld novels which deal with the Night Watch guys (or the Silver Horde), so I enjoyed this one. The story was so-so, a mysterious and dangerous contraption has been stolen, probably by a bloodthirsty maniac or at least a tragically unbalanced individual, so it must be retrieved before the city of Ankh-Morpork is plunged into chaos. Of course all ends well, the good guys triumph and stuff, but there are many jokes and allusions and wordplays to be savored during the journey, so it's easy to forgive and/or forget the predictability.

OK I have to include this:

'"Did you know she was a werewolf?"
"Um... Captain Vimes kind of hinted, sir..."
"How did he hint?"
Colon took a step back.
"He sort of said, 'Fred, she's a damn werewolf. I don't like it more than you do, but Vetinari says we've got to take one of them as well, and a werewolf is better than a vampire or a zombie, and that's all there is to it.' That's what he hinted."'

I didn't really care for Carrot and Angua subplot, but it was all right, bearable. What's more important, I love Detritus the troll and there was plenty of him, so I'm happy. Also, the little dog was hilarious, but Detritus was the best.

WHO THAT GOOD-LOOKING MILITARY TROLL THERE?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Men at Arms.