CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian's Reviews > The Best Kind of People

The Best Kind of People by Zoe Whittall

it was ok
bookshelves: canadian, fiction, queer, audiobooks, gay, abuse-assault

A disappointing read unfortunately. I love Zoey Whittall's other novels, but her latest is very different. This is a dark, sad, complex novel about rape culture and what happens to the family members of a respected man who's accused of sexual assault. I felt like it was written for an audience that wasn't me--like people who aren't already familiar with the term rape culture. I kept wondering if I was supposed to be unsure if George had done it or not (I was immediately convinced of his guilt but felt like the narrative was setting me up to doubt). This novel had none of the humour I love about her writing and none of the quintessentially queer urban Canadiana I also love. I see how a novel like this would garner her a wider audience that doesn't necessarily include me! When I read her other work, I think, yes, I know these people! I'm sure other readers (read: white upper middle class Americans) might feel the same way about the characters in this novel, but I did not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Kind of People.

March 29, 2016 – Shelved
October 18, 2018 – Shelved as: audiobooks
November 18, 2018 – Started Reading
November 23, 2018 – Shelved as: gay
November 23, 2018 –
19.0% "Wow wow wow the audiobook narrator just mispronounced the word "toque," saying it like "toke." How embarrassing!! It must be an American voice actor. Although now that I think about it, this book (which is by a Canadian writer) is set in the States, so it's a bit weird that the omniscient narrator used the word toque."
December 6, 2018 – Finished Reading
December 8, 2018 – Shelved as: abuse-assault

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat I can totally see what you meant. At times the facts and figures felt a little preachy but that's just because I was already aware with them. I did like it though, so I guess I might like her other books even more!