Angel Gelique's Reviews > Suicide Forest

Suicide Forest by Jeremy Bates

liked it
bookshelves: disappointing, had-potential, neither-super-nor-natural

Ethan Childs and a group of young adults, including his girlfriend, Mel, decide to camp out at the infamous Aokigahara Jukai in Japan (commonly referred to as the Suicice Forest). It is a place where many people go to commit suicide. Tomo, an obnoxious, immature young guy within the group is anxious to find a body hanging from one of the trees, while others, including Mel, just want to find a campsite, spend the night and get out of there. As expected, things don't go as smoothly as planned and soon members of the group begin to go missing one by one. Before long, the remaining people realize that they're lost in the forest and contacting help may not be an option.

For the most part, this was a good story. I just felt that it dragged on too much and a lot of time was wasted spent on extraneous background information and drama between the characters. (view spoiler)

It wasn't as action-packed or suspenseful as I had hoped. It's not that it was boring--it was entertaining, just not as eerie and creepy as it could have been. In fact, it wasn't until the very end when there was any real action. That part was very good and engrossing. I just wish that the rest of the story could have been as interesting. And sadly, I didn't like the epilogue at all.

Overall, the writing is good and the author seems talented. I think maybe I was just expecting more from this book. It had great potential that, for me, went unfulfilled.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Suicide Forest.

January 1, 2015 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
January 1, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
March 29, 2016 – Started Reading
April 17, 2016 – Shelved as: disappointing
April 17, 2016 – Shelved as: had-potential
April 17, 2016 – Shelved as: neither-super-nor-natural
April 17, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Kimberly (new) - added it

Kimberly Good review! Still haven't made the time to read this one.