C.G. Drews's Reviews > Scythe

Scythe by Neal Shusterman

bookshelves: 4-star, dystopian, read-2018, young-adult

So this book is basically just about murder. Exciting! All I want to do is say "MURDER, JOHN" like Sherlock wood, so imagine me doing that. Anyway! I had super high expectations for this because every blogger, bookworm, and semi-literate fish I know has raved over it. I also love Challenger Deep and Unwind a LOT, so I knew this was going to be excellent!

+ It's a dystopian with this perfect world where there is no death: so some people become scythes to keep the balance.
This is a very cool premise althoooough, we have this like "perfect world" but the scythes could be pretty gruesome and cruel with their gleaning tactics. (Knives? Flamethrowers? Guns?? Etc??) That did not make sense to me. I feel like the scythes should've gleaned in a more anti-harm way to keep that vibe of "humanity is perfect and has reached levels of perfection". Anyhow.

+ The scythes had freaking awesome robes and I want one.
I mean. Look at that cover. I NEED A ROBE LIKE THAT.

+ I really liked both Citra and Rowan!
The story is split between them and as they're apprenticed to Scythe Faraday (although reluctantly) and they're both kind of winning. Citra is a bit of a Slytherin go-getter and Rowan is a self confessed "lettuce" (aka: unimportant and forgettable) (which I'm really pleased he used that term because I've bene using it FOREVER HA!). I didn't exactly connect to either of them though?! The narration felt a bit distant (which is unusual; I generally adore 3rd person), but I still was SUPER keen to see how their story would unfold. I really loved their relationship too!! (And honestly if you're into books with very very very little romance: This is for you.)

ALSO THE BOOK IS VERY MEAN TO ROWAN AND MY POOR HEART.❤️💔

+ It is kind of long though?!
I felt it was a teeny tiny bit rambly, and it took me a while to get invested because there wasn't much plot but Citra and Rowan training to be scythes. But at the same time it was ENJOYABLE TO READ!! I just wasn't mind-smackingly (is that a word??? it is now) invested.

+ AND THEN THE TWISTS CAME.
Like hit me in the face with a brick, why don't you. One of the twists had me kind of going "OH. I DIDN'T WANT THAT" which is a masterfully great feeling. Who needs happiness! Not bookworms!

+ Also the world building was fab.
It reminded me of the Giver nearly!? But they all had technology to make them reset their ages and everyone lived in comfort, but still had to work and strive etc. And the details of the world just really made it so easy to get lost in. I am also totally down with this being our future if everytime you potential die you get revived and given ice cream. Dessert cures!! I've said this my whole life!!

So definitely glad I (finally) read this one! Yes I am late to the scythedom highway to hell but happy to be here, fren. It wasn't the world's most "perfect" read for me, and I'm a little disappointed I didn't love it 100%. But I wANT THE NEXT ONE. And I'd recommend it in a heartbeat, especially if you give me ice cream. There is death, corruption, feels and knives. Yes please and thank you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scythe.

March 29, 2016 – Shelved
March 29, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 6, 2018 – Started Reading
March 7, 2018 –
page 91
20.92% "heyyy I'm finally reading this after 989 people told me to hurry up and get to it."
March 9, 2018 –
page 153
35.17% "I do like it but I honestly expected more plot by now ah hahha...ahem. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"
March 9, 2018 –
page 186
42.76% "NO.
WHAT WAS THAT.
I AM UNHAPPY WITH THAT TWIST.
MY HEART.
😭💔"
March 10, 2018 – Shelved as: 4-star
March 10, 2018 – Shelved as: dystopian
March 10, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
March 10, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
March 10, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

empirestatebookshelf I loved this book! It's so good... and the sequel is amazing too!

Sarah YESSS. Everyone at my job (I work in a library) is obsessed with this book.

C.G. Drews @Empirestatebookshelf: Ahh! I'm so excited to FINALLY be reading it. Took me long enough. 😂

@Sarah: Everyone raves about it so much?! I'm ashamed it's taken me so long to read it haha.

Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson I’m so glad you are reading this! 😹

Sarah @Cait - It's not perfect, but it is quite well-written and I have yet to meet someone of any age who has disliked it. I'm interested to hear your review! I hope you enjoy it as much as many of us did. :)

C.G. Drews @Samantha: I'm so glad too!

@Sarah: Well what book is perfect, right?! 😂 I also love this author's Unwind and Challenger Deep (both 5 stars for me) so I'm pretty sure I'll like this one too.

message 7: by Sharika (new) - added it

Sharika Hafeez Ha, I like your review :)

Now I actually want to read this book!

C.G. Drews @Sharika: Yay I hope you do!!

message 9: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Jorgenson The fact that some scythes behave unethically and take pleasure in their gruesome methods of gleaning is sort of the point. Like, there’s this world that looks like a perfect utopia on the surface, but there are layers and layers of very human flaws buried beneath it, almost out of sight. Read the next one—it digs into this a lot more.

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Tom: I get that was the point, but why create a society (if it's meant to be perfect) like that in the first place? It's a huge flaw. It's like giving a knife to someone and saying "stab nicely". Just give everyone the killing pills (which is what The Giver did and made SO much more sense). It's still death = morals can still be corrupted = but it fits with the world.

George Jankovic Wonderful review, Cait! I just finished the book. It was great!!