Michelle's Reviews > Lily and the Octopus

Lily and the Octopus by Steven  Rowley

Mar 28, 2016

bookshelves: book-previews, book-reviews, netgalley

Set in the bustling city of Los Angeles, Ted a middle aged man who is recently single and spends his days working from home and being with his rescue dog, a dachshund called Lily.

Lily gets sick from a tumor, symbolised as an octopus, and Ted's life is turned upside down as he deals with the sadness of Lily reaching the end of her days and the grief of losing his beloved companion.

The story takes you on a magical journey of Ted and Lily - sometimes I was unsure if Ted was imagining parts of the story or if it was actually happening. Reminiscing about the times spent together, the adventures they went on and the bond between man and dog, all the while trying to fight off the octopus.

This book is powerful and moving, I read it with a lump in my throat most of the way through, but it is so beautifully written that it was worth the emotional rollercoaster. This is the kind of book I couldn't stop thinking about when I wasn't reading it and when you find a book like that you know it's made a huge impact - so I've officially added it to my top 5 favourite books of all time!

I recommend this book to everyone but especially to dog lovers - you will have an instant connection with the story and the unbreakable bond between man and dog.

Thank you Netgalley for providing a copy of this ebook for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lily and the Octopus.

March 28, 2016 – Shelved