Gabby's Reviews > Kill the Boy Band

Kill the Boy Band by Goldy Moldavsky

bookshelves: 5-star-books, all-time-favorites, contemporary, lgbt, incredible-plot-twists, inspirational, love-the-concept, read-in-2016, read-in-one-day, reviewed, thrillers-or-mystery, young-adult, arc-or-won-or-received
Recommended for: anyone who's ever been obsessed with a boy band

"Boy band fangirls are a species that are more focused, determined, and powerful in large numbers than just about any other group of people I can think of."
Holy shit, I loved this. I was not expecting to like this book as much as I did. This book had everything: humor, an obsession with a boyband, relatable fangirl moments, suspense, mystery, plot twists, just everything. This is one of the funniest books I've ever read. I laughed out loud several times. Once I was laughing so hard I couldn't catch my breath. Maybe I just have a sick sense of humor, but this was hilarious. It's dark humor, but I appreciate it because dark humor is my favorite kind of humor if it's done right. I finished this book in one sitting because I physically couldn't stop reading it. I also think it's absolutely hysterical how this fictitious boy band "The Ruperts" is loosely based on the boy band One Direction. I was never personally obsessed with One Direction, but I still think this is freaking hilarious. This book is kind of absurd and crazy, but in the best way. It follows a young 15 year old girl in New York when she stays at the same hotel as her favorite boy band (intentionally of course) with three of her closest friends. And then they kidnap one of the boys in the boy band, and from there the story takes off and gets more and more entertaining and hilarious with each chapter.

"You've got this tunnel vision obsession that's keeping you from seeing real life."

This is the kind of book that's better if you can relate to it. I will totally admit that I used to be absolutely obsessed with the Jonas Brothers. Nick Jonas was my entire life. I've never seen a book capture the essence of what it's like to be a hardcore fangirl on a day to day basis. These fangirls might seem crazy but that was me in high school, I totally get it. At that age it feels as if that boy band is your entire life, and at the time they were my entire life. I love how this book talks about how fun and exciting it is to be a fangirl. How you live through the internet and have gif wars with other fans and twitter and tumblr are your lifelines and you would wait hours in the rain just to get a glimpse of them or be in the same room as them. I completely understand the feeling. It made me feel so nostalgic to be honest, and it reminded me of all the crazy things I used to do as a fangirl. I haven't been a hardcore fangirl like this in years but reading this sent me right back to what it was like to have that fangirl state of mind. I loved it.

"I loved The Ruperts for who they were, sure, but I mostly loved them for how they made me feel. Which was happy. The Ruperts made me happy. The simplest thing to be in the world. And the hardest."

Also, the second half of this book took a crazy turn and had so many plot twists. It became so suspenseful and intense and there were so many plot twists that I didn't see coming. The second half of this book reminded me of Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas. (view spoiler)

This book just continued to surprise me over and over again. It's completely unpredictable. (view spoiler) I love how they find out about everything happening via twitter and tumblr and gossip websites because it's so accurate for a fangirl to constantly be checking those social media accounts for updates on their favorite celebrities. I just loved the accuracy of what it's like to be a fangirl.

I just loved this book so much. It was hilarious and relatable and made me feel reminiscent of what it was like to be such a hardcore fangirl of a boy band. I don't regret that time of my life because I remember how happy they made me. Seeing your favorite boy band member in person is one of the most exciting things in the world when you are such a young girl. I love how this book really describes how powerful fangirls are, because it's true. Fangirls are like an army and they won't let anyone come between them and seeing their favorite band. I love when it says that the concert tickets sold out in 2.7 seconds and "it was the biggest crisis we'd ever faced as fans" because that literally happened to me in 2008 when I was trying to get concert tickets to see the Jonas Brothers and I remember being so insanely depressed. I was a crazy fan girl, my room was covered in posters of them from floor to ceiling and I've seen them in concert 10+ times and I would follow their every move online and they were my everything. I remember meeting Nick Jonas when I was 16 and it was the greatest day of my life and my heart was beating so fast and it was one of the happiest moments of my life. I still look back on that day with happiness. This book made me reflect on one of the happiest, craziest times of my life and I love it for that. Here is the photo from the day I met him:
K5T93
IMAG0517

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kill the Boy Band.

March 28, 2016 – Started Reading
March 28, 2016 – Shelved
March 28, 2016 –
page 104
32.5% "Maybe I have a sick sense of humor but this is the funniest book I've read in a long time. I have already tabbed at least 10 pages, this shit is hilarious."
March 28, 2016 – Shelved as: 5-star-books