Angel Gelique's Reviews > My Brother's Keeper

My Brother's Keeper by Tim  Miller

This story is simply heartbreaking. Six-year-old Simon has autism and is prone to long bouts of screaming fits and tantrums. His twelve-year-old brother has anger issues but is his loyal caregiver and protector. Their mother and sole guardian, Nadine, is fed up with the stress and her lack of control. She has grown bitter and resentful. Drinking certainly doesn't help. So what's a highly frustrated single mother to do?

Child abuse photo: child abuse lol.gif

Nadine unleashes her fury upon her children in horrifying ways. Be warned, this book graphically depicts the abuse and horrors that the two young brothers endure at the hands of their mother.

I read this story straight through in one sitting--that's how compelling it was. It evoked feelings of sympathy, empathy, outrage, sadness and anger. Nadine's actions are undeniably reprehensible, but I found the response by the police and child protective services caseworker equally deplorable. Worse, though this story is a work of fiction, I know that there are actual monsters preying on children in the guise of parents and guardians. It truly boils my blood. I don't think the author should be criticized for tackling such a difficult subject. Most people are too removed from such horrors to acknowledge that terrible things like this happen all too often.

Ostrich burying head photo: ostrich head in sand anim ostrichwheadinsand.gif

Kudos to Tim Miller for giving us a glimpse into the madness. It is a gut-wrenching portrayal of the depravity that unfortunately exists and is often minimized or overlooked completely.

Readers will live through the cruelty and maltreatment the brothers sustain, but will also have Nadine's perspective, which I thought was very well handled. Though it was difficult to feel much pity for her, personally, I could see how her situation and failure to reach out to the proper resources led to her downfall.

This book will definitely stir up plenty of emotions. It is well-written and absolutely riveting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Brother's Keeper.

March 28, 2016 – Started Reading
March 29, 2016 – Shelved as: mothers-you-want-to-kill-slowly-and
March 29, 2016 – Shelved as: gut-wrenching
March 29, 2016 – Shelved as: sad
March 29, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Elfina (new)

Elfina Renee Mmm mmm powerful review, don't know if the read is for me but your presentation is top notch. Nicely describe.