Sara's Reviews > Where She Went

Apr 06, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, young-adult
Read on July 14, 2011

3.5 stars. This is the follow-up to If I Stay, which I really enjoyed. This book was pretty good but definitely could have been left unwritten. It's three years since the last book ended; Mia's touring as a cellist, and Adam, the narrator for this book, is a famous rock star who lives in L.A. They both happen to be in New York and have about 24 hours to spend with each other, so the chapters alternate between them catching up in the present day, Adam wondering why Mia left him so abruptly when she left for Julliard, and memories that he has from their past together.

Mia and Adam definitely had chemistry together, and the author did a good job writing emotions that are very believable. Adam was a great narrator and I was drawn into his mind as he tried to piece together everything that had happened in their lives and why. There were some nice parallels between the pain he felt with his public personal and the pain in his private life.

There are plenty of nice things about this book, but it also didn't resonate with me the way it should have. The characters are flawed but not in a completely healthy, believable way; at times it felt like things had happened between the last book and this simply so this book could exist. Also, if I'm going to compare this book to the original one, this was simply not as thoughtful.

This isn't to say that this is a bad book by any means. It was a fast read and kept me entertained. I simply don't think it had anything particularly new to add to the story that had already been told. It was written well and kept a nice pace, but it didn't seem to exist for any purpose other than to give fans of the first book a chance to read more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where She Went.