1luvbooks's Reviews > The Hobbit

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Apr 06, 2011

bookshelves: magical, lovable, thrilling, suspenseful, greatest-books-of-all-time, favourites, entertaining, easy-reads, amazing, to-reread
Read from April 06 to 14, 2011

The Hobbit. I don't really know where to start with this book. I'd always wanted to read the LOTR series, but I decided to start with this, especially after seeing the movies. I loved the Hobbit. It has this great writing style which is just amazing. Tolkien is very descriptive, and good at conjuring feelings- I felt certain things in various situations-when Bilbo was scared, or trapped, or lonely, or sad, I felt that way, too. Or if he was in a place with a certain feel (say, an underground cave) I felt that way too. It was amazing how Tolkien made it seem like you were right with Bilbo, experiencing all the danger. All his descriptions are simple, but realistic. Whenever he talked about food, I felt hungry.
Okay, so aside from the writing, what else was good? Well, the adventure was great- it was magical, and exciting, and clever. I loved all the twists and turns and logic. It's hard to say too much more, but, really, you have to read it for yourself to see why the adventure was so good.
Also, Bilbo was a very good protagonist, and I loved all the dwarves, and Gandalf. Even though the characters were kept simple, they were lovable, and even though they were in this fantasy world, it was weirdly realistic. I absolutely loved immersing myself in this world. I felt that I could EASILY empathizes with Bilbo, and the others. And, The villains were actually S-C-A-R-Y!!! They seemed dark, and ominous, and they freaked me out.
No matter how much I loved it, there were a few flaws (no book is perfect!!!!) like a few times when it seemed that a solution to a problem didn't quite fit, but that was really the only issue.
All in all though, I couldn't put The Hobbit down, and I loved the ending. All I can say is: No wonder this is a classic! I'm definitely planning on rereading this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hobbit.