Sheila's Reviews > Messenger of Truth

Messenger of Truth by Jacqueline Winspear

31906
Apr 06, 2011

I started in the middle of the series since my local library did not have the first few available. I was very happy to find that I was able to get into the story without having read the beginning books. Although I am going to go back and read them.
Maisie Dobbs is an independent woman in England and is not following in the footsteps of other women her age. The experiences that have led her to her current occupation as an investigator are alluded to as well as her humble background. She went to a good school, however, and that association offers her the opportunity to help a fellow "Girton Girl" with some doubts the girl has about the death of her twin brother. The fellow class mate is Georgina Bassington-Hope and although they never met while at school, Maisie agrees to help her.
The author, Jacqueline Winspear, became fascintated with how World War I, the Great War, affected Britons and this figures prominently in this mystery. Maisie herself and the Bassington-Hope's have not forgotten the war and the Winspear highlights aspects of the soldier's experience to the story in a most unusual way.
I really liked this book because Winspear is an intelligent writer who creates real characters involved in living in England between the World Wars. I could also really picture the Kentish coast and 1930's London as well as the fashions of the day. I look forward to reading the other books in the series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Messenger of Truth.

April 6, 2011 – Shelved