Jamie (Books and Ladders)'s Reviews > Mystique

Mystique by Shari Arnold

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
Actual Rating: 4.5*
Be sure to check out my blog tour stop on April 27!

I really enjoyed this one. I liked the mystery and the intrigue. It felt like an episode of X-Files and I love that show. I think the plot, the characters, and everything really meshed well together. I just wasn't a fan of the pacing at some points and I thought some of the supporting characters were a little over the top.

I really liked Presley. I think she had the right amount of suspended belief and questioning. I also really liked that as much as she was confused and scared, she never let that deter her from helping out those in need. She was really relateable and easily one of the best main characters in a sci-fi story I have read in a while. I also think the relationships she had with the other characters felt real and weren't too forced. I especially liked how she handled the whole Bauer relationship (although I feel like she was a little too accepting of him and Sam in her life at the beginning) because she was like "well this hot guy likes me, so I guess I'll hang out with him even though he just came back from the dead" but she wasn't (view spoiler). I liked that she was curious about the other town and everything but I did think that route ended up being a little convenient, but I didn't mind that too much.

For a standalone, I was really pleased with the plot of this one. I thought that it had a natural progression and didn't make the reader wait too long to hook you in but also took it's time explaining things and made it plausible to have happened. I did think that time progressed a little awkwardly at some points but it didn't really deter my reading enjoyment. The writing was easy to follow and easy to read which made the actual process of reading fun.

I thought some of the secondary characters were a little underdeveloped. I think a bit more time could have been spent on Maryanne and Royce because while Royce was a tad creepy, I didn't get the full creep factor from him which made his arc fall a little flat for me. I think if they had been introduced a couple chapters before, it would have given them just that bit more time to develop. I feel the same way about Alex, although I kinda had his story pinpointed from the time he was introduced.

However, I really enjoyed this one. If you want to read a good sci-fi paranormal book, this is the one for you. Presley was a great main character and I loved trying to figure out Mystique's secrets alongside her. This one comes with a recommendation from me!

Books and Ladders | Queen of the Bookshelves | Books Are My Fandom | Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mystique.

March 27, 2016 – Shelved
March 27, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
April 9, 2016 – Started Reading
April 9, 2016 –
6.0% ""Why me? Why now? When I realize I’ll never know the answers if I stay here, I rise to my feet and jump down to the sidewalk. “Why not?” I say, and Sam smiles." -- LOVE THIS"
April 9, 2016 –
16.0% "I'm glad she's just as confused as me tbh"
April 9, 2016 –
20.0% "omg this is INTENSE. I am LOVING IT."
April 9, 2016 –
24.0% "holy crap. what. what!"
April 9, 2016 –
26.0% "I LOVE Presley omg I am in tears I'm laughing so hard"
April 12, 2016 –
32.0% "my plan is to finish this one tonight!"
April 12, 2016 –
43.0% "so this obvs has something to do with the army base but what. what are they doing and why."
April 12, 2016 –
47.0% "do all the returned have super strength???"
April 12, 2016 –
54.0% "!!! This is getting so intense!"
57.0% "omg"
59.0% "*sighs dreamily*"
April 12, 2016 –
63.0% "MY HEART CAN'T HANDLE IT"
69.0% "poor Maryanne."
April 12, 2016 –
74.0% "but then wouldn't no one have ever died in this town?"
April 12, 2016 –
89.0% "nope that is unacceptable."
April 12, 2016 – Finished Reading