Tomàs's Reviews > The Analyst

The Analyst by John Katzenbach

bookshelves: 2016, in-spanish, mine, thriller

I've been thinking what I could write to describe as accurately as possible the book. I like to read good reviews which are able to change my mind and make me read a book when it's good. But I'm sorry to say I can't even do that.

The book was..., terrific. One of the best I read this year so far, and maybe one of the best that I've ever read in my life. And I'm not exaggerating.

The plot was well-thought and well-developed, in every aspect of the book. Divided in three part, each of them centred on an aspect of the book (I’m sorry but I won’t reveal anything. No spoilers in my reviews). And even though I read some reviews that suggested the second part was going to be slow and tedious. I completely disagree. I couldn’t stop reading it, without knowing what to expect next. It was surprise after surprise and I liked that a lot.

The moment the name of the antagonist was revealed I scream at the tops of my lungs “I knew it”. Agg! That made me so happy. Because really I didn’t know who the hell the “bad guy” was and when I found it…, it was great.

Then we have the characters. Can I say that I love Ricky, please? I know at the very first moment when you start knowing about him (I mean he is the main character, so that would be in the first page) I thought I would hate him (maybe he’s more similar to me that I would like to consider) but whilst I was reading and things were happening, he evolved. And that’s a very important aspect in every character for me. They need to be relatable if you want me to like a book. So when with every change and plot-twist in the novel he made a decision that in some aspect I could identify to (if I was in that situation, obviously), it made him more likeable, in some strange sense. And I like that, a lot.

And then we have Virgil, Rumpelstiltskin and Merlin. I won’t say many things about Merlin. He was necessary, but I didn’t like him. I’m sorry. But, but, but, the other two were like the best thing John Katzenbach could have ever done with this book. Mainly due to Rumpelstiltskin being the one who sent the letter to Ricky at the start of the novel. But the true antagonist was and will always be Virgil. His guide to hell. She was a really interesting character and I enjoyed the way she acted in front of Ricky.

*I’m sorry if there’s any inaccuracy, but the version I read was the Spanish one, so…

And well, that’s more or less what I wanted to say. Anyway, I recommend it to all of you. I’m sure you will like it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Analyst.

March 27, 2016 – Started Reading
March 27, 2016 – Shelved
March 27, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 27, 2016 –
page 1
0.2% "I have high expectations about this book. A friend told me this book is a "must read", so..., let's see what happens..."
March 31, 2016 –
page 114
23.22% "Terrific! I missed reading a good mystery book. And The Analyst is clearly one of them."
April 3, 2016 –
page 256
52.14% "I've got the flu, but I'm still reading anyway. And it's being really good so far."
April 4, 2016 –
page 346
70.47% "I've read a lot of reviews saying that the second part of the book it's really slow. But, I'm finding it as interesting as the first part was."
April 6, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016