Kayna Olsen's Reviews > American Born Chinese

Apr 06, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: books-21-30
Read in March, 2011

This is a graphic novel with three different stories being told simultaneously. The first is the story of the Monkey King who wishes to master all of the disciplines of kung-fu. But he becomes quite cocky and is sentenced to reside under pile of rocks. The second story is of Jin Wang. His story starts when he and his parents move to a new place and he discovers that he is the only Chinese-American in his school. He is just trying to fit in at his junior high and make friends. The third story is about Danny who is a blonde American boy who leads a pretty typical life with the exception of annual visits from his vulgar disrespectful cousin Chin-Kee. After each time his cousin comes to visit he has to change schools to get away from being called Chin-Kee's cousin.

I strongly disliked this book. I found it immature and unnecessarily suggestive. I really do not know what age group this would be appropriate for so I really would not suggest it for any age group. The lesson at the end is good and the illustrations are good as well, those two things are what my single star is there for. Other than that, I found no enjoyment in this graphic novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Born Chinese.