kate's Reviews > The Autumn Bride

The Autumn Bride by Anne Gracie

F 50x66

liked it
bookshelves: ain-t-happening, tstl-heroine, hist-romance-english

** spoiler alert ** Started out good then went downhill. I liked Abby. I really did even though she was stupid enough to write all the people that could have been responsible for her sister being sold to a brothel and tell them " my sister is with me and we're in London". I was surprised she didn't have Daisy sew bulls eyes on their dresses. But overall she is a nice person and does try to look out for everyone. I get that the hero is suspicious of her. I understand why he would be curt. I don't understand the inst love lust for somebody who is nasty to you. But again TSTL heroine. It was a cute story that was easy reading. But I'm not real tempted to read the rest. It was a little to unbelievable even for a historical romance novel which usually require a certain amount of suspended belief to begin with.

Lest I forget. Almost at the end of the book Anne Gracie must have said to herself " Oh damn. I forgot to put in a sex scene" and for some reason has the H take the h to his hotel room and they go at it like rabbits. Huh? I don't take offense at sex in a novel but it was so far out of left field it seemed like an afterthought. It felt like she had the scene left over from another book and decided to use rather then let it go to waste. Overall this is a book I would loan to a friend but not suggest they buy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Autumn Bride.

Started Reading
March 25, 2016 – Finished Reading
March 26, 2016 – Shelved
March 26, 2016 – Shelved as: ain-t-happening
March 26, 2016 – Shelved as: tstl-heroine
March 26, 2016 – Shelved as: hist-romance-english

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Penny Black I agree with your criticism (mostly) I was more forgiving of Abby though. I haven't read the third book in the series yet, but the second is definitely superior to this one. The characters, the love story and the relationships are drawn better. I enjoyed it.

message 2: by kate (last edited Mar 27, 2016 04:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

kate Hi Penny-I would have given it 3.5 stars if I could have. Abby seemed bright enough except for notifying everyone involved with her sisters' new "job" as to their location. Even when she was being followed it doesn't occur to her how they got her address. Duh? It put a dent in an otherwise very likable character. And the bedroom scene to me fell out of the sky. I did really like the whole sister/friend relationship. I've been blessed with sisters that were best friends and friends that are like sisters so I got that concept.

But I'll try the second if you say so. I took Doing No Harm from your read list and absolutely loved it. Thanks for the tip.

Penny Black Abby's judgment lapse seemed out of character. There had to be a better way for the villains to find the girls than make her out a naive ninny. I would have liked her much better without it.
As for the bedroom scene, it made absolutely no impression on me (I tend to skip over bedroom scenes that do not add to the narrative and promptly forget I did). If you hadn't mentioned it, I would have had a hard time remembering it was there.
The second book is much more balanced, except the sisters' relationship plays a less prominent role. Abby is off on her honeymoon, Lady Bea is in much better shape physically and psychologically, so there is more opportunity for comic elements.
As much as I liked the relationship between the protagonists there, my favorite dialogues happened between the heroine and her prospective mother-in-law. This is a story I will read again.

I'm glad you've enjoyed Doing No Harm. Have you read the Channel Fleet trilogy? Doing No Harm is part of that "universe".

kate Penny wrote: "Abby's judgment lapse seemed out of character. There had to be a better way for the villains to find the girls than make her out a naive ninny. I would have liked her much better without it.

As fo..."

I have a love/hate thing going with Carla Kelly. Mostly love. I'll certainly check out the Channel Fleet trilogy and keep my fingers crossed.

Penny Black Carla Kelly is a hit or miss for me. Sometimes, her reality checks grate on my nerves. And, I dislike when she separates the H/h for no other reason than character stupidity / miscommunication. None of that in Channel Fleet. Three stories about love in the time of war. And, the heroines of these three books are sisters (half-sisters raised separately) so their evolving relationships were a big hit with me too.

message 6: by Lyuda (new)

Lyuda Great review Kate! The author is mostly a miss for me lately. And she used to be almost on auto-buy for me.

kate Lyuda wrote: "Great review Kate! The author is mostly a miss for me lately. And she used to be almost on auto-buy for me."

Thanks Lynda.

kate Hi penny. The three sister thing rang a bell. I checked and I did read the third one on the list. A 4 star for me so I put the other two on my tbr. Her war books can be pretty graphic so I like to space them out.
Have you read Heaven In His Arms by Lisa ann Verge. I felt the couple in that book were soul mates like the ones in Doing No Harm. Pretty much all HR get a HEA but in these two books I felt the couple really were on the same page.