AudryT's Reviews > Tempestuous Petticoat

Tempestuous Petticoat by Clare Leighton

Apr 06, 2011

bookshelves: fem-author

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempestuous Petticoat.

April 6, 2011 – Started Reading
April 6, 2011 – Shelved
page 7
2.57% "'It's the lower classes who rush to pay their bills...The aristocratic thing is only to pay them when accompanied by threats.'"
page 12
4.41% "'Say what you please about these new diet fads...but nothing takes the place of a good mutton chop.'"
page 16
5.88% "'There's hardly a man who isn't benefited by being warmed and stirred a little.""
page 17
6.25% "'My mother would recite a love poem during a game of whist, in order to distract a susceptible opponent, while my father, who in his deafness did not hear what was going on, would wonder suddenly why his partner was playing the wrong cards.' <--I love her mother."
page 48
17.65% "'Mea,' his husky voice called up the stairs. 'I have come to see you while the morning dew is still upon you.' <--Said by a man wearing a kilt."
page 60
22.06% "I love that as a child, Clare managed to find every naughty or "clinical" book hidden away in the house, and also to view the illicit romances of the house servants from her nursery window."
page 61
22.43% "'Papa would say with a little laugh that the most important of the Commandments was the eleventh one: Thou shalt not be found out.'"
May 19, 2011 –
page 93
May 22, 2011 –
page 120
page 136
50.0% "1/2 'The unemployed were here last week,' said my aunt [meaning the Duke of Wellington's hunting party]. 'They came...surging up the garden path, with the horses trampling upon my flower beds. So I went out to meet them. "Well?" I said to the Duke as he reined his horse. "The fox has got away in your orchard, ma'am." "The fox is welcome to the safety of my orchard." I drew myself up, looking him straight in the face."
page 137
50.37% "2/2 And he couldn't move, you see, for if he had he'd have knocked me down on my own land. 'But the fox, madam.' 'I'll be obliged if you will please call your dogs and horses together and leave my garden," I went on severely. And I stood there, without moving, till the Duke turned his horse and led them all down the path again. I liked to think of that fox, safe among my apple trees...It was a grand morning.'"
page 157
November 10, 2011 –
page 221
November 23, 2011 –
page 250
91.91% "'Why won't people see that it isn't what life does to them that matters, but how they cope with what life does?'"
November 23, 2011 – Finished Reading