Joséphine (Word Revel)'s Reviews > Armada

Armada by Ernest Cline

Actual rating: 4.5 stars

Initial thoughts: What stellar narration from Wil Wheaton! Listening to the audiobook certainly is a huge contributing factor to my enjoyment of something that usually wouldn't be my kind of book. Hard core gaming? Aliens? Excessive pop culture references? None of these are things I care much for and yet I had a blast with Armada.

I think that subject matter aside, Armada did well in presenting relatable characters as well as a huge conflict interspersed with minor ones. The resolutions came with caveats and ambiguity yet I felt satisfied at the end of the ride.

My only reason for holding back on full five stars is that Armada didn't blow me away as an original story — I found it a little predictable, reminiscent of science fiction books I used to read over a decade ago.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Armada.

March 26, 2016 – Started Reading
March 26, 2016 – Shelved
March 26, 2016 – Shelved as: format-audiobooks
March 27, 2016 –
35.0% "Gaming's never been my thing and aliens hardly interest me either. Yet Armada's turning out to be rather entertaining. Hah."
March 27, 2016 – Shelved as: conspiracy-theories
March 28, 2016 – Shelved as: propaganda
March 28, 2016 – Shelved as: war
March 28, 2016 – Shelved as: family
March 28, 2016 –
80.0% "Love the narration — the voices and emotions are so fitting and the moods are conveyed so well."
March 28, 2016 – Shelved as: 4-stars-and-half
March 28, 2016 – Shelved as: zzz-challenges-2016-diversity
March 28, 2016 – Shelved as: zzz-challenges-2016-popsugar
March 28, 2016 – Shelved as: zzz-read-2016-03
March 28, 2016 – Finished Reading
March 30, 2016 – Shelved as: futuristic
March 30, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence) oooh glad you enjoyed this one! I didn't like it because of the constant name dropping and cliche references, but Wil Wheaton could definitely add to the experience.