Ryan Schneider's Reviews > Under the Dome

Under the Dome by Stephen King

Apr 05, 2011

liked it

This is another epic work. I was looking forward to reading it before it was released and recall seeing the book trailer and being intrigued, as well as wondering about THE SIMPSON'S MOVIE, and who was ripping off whom, or if were merely a case of the accidental collective unconscious.

I received it in hardcover as a Christmas gift from my mom (thanks, mom!) and carried it with me to read on the plane to Israel. I didn't read on the plane at all, but did read the entire book during the 4 weeks I was in Israel with my wife, visiting her family. And given that the hardcover edition is about 1000 pages and quite large speaks, er, volumes, considering I humped it all the way to Israel in my backpack; it was the only book I took with me.

It is an epic book, very well handled. A classic us vs. them story, involving two competing factions both vying for control of the town which is trapped under the dome. So while all the crazy you-know-what is happening in the town/under the dome, the U.S. Army is on the other side firing all sorts of crazy missiles at the dome. The lead antogonist, James Rennie, is such a bastard that I found myself HATING him. It was fantastic.

I have a riveting video on my blog showing Stephen King reading the first chapter of the book. The book trailer is also there for viewing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Dome.