Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)'s Reviews > Kids of Appetite

Kids of Appetite by David  Arnold

Initial Impressions 9/19/16: 3.5 stars
I should have guessed that I'd be a little bit of a black sheep on this one. I know so many people who rave about David Arnold and though I still haven't read MOSQUITOLAND yet, I did get to meet David Arnold last year at Anderson's YA Lit Conference and he was just so delightful! I was really excited to receive a copy of KIDS OF APPETITE from the publisher (I actually received an ARC from Penguin Random House and audio from Listening Library) for review and for participation in the blog tour.

It wasn't that I disliked KIDS OF APPETITE. It was very well-written, clever (especially the way the ending tied up), and displayed some really beautiful friendships... But I know that I'm not in the right place in my life to read this book. I've been avoiding more "serious" contemporary novels as of late as a personal preference and prefer lighter, fluffier contemporary novels to balance out some more serious things in my life right now so I just didn't appreciate some of the heavier moments in KIDS OF APPETITE that others may connect or sympathize with.

It was a little bit of a style clash too. There were just little things in the book that went against the grain of what I connect with as a reader that really stood out to me. There was just something about this group of kids that I just can't put my finger on that I just really didn't connect with. Maybe it was the audiobook narrators that played into that a little bit but despite the detailed character histories, uniqueness, and diversity, I just had a hard time feeling like I really connected with them and I'm not sure why. Then there were little things like the many, many instances of repetition that really got under my skin. I just really hate when things are repeated over and over again and I know that it's like a mantra but Vic's "super racehorse" was repeated way too much and it started to bother me. Again, a personal preference that just happened to clash with this book.

I also just never really got into the book overall. I think it was almost too much for me. There was a lot going on which wasn't BAD but I don't know... I just didn't quite connect with everything. Like the characters were somehow too distant for me to connect with or our personalities didn't mesh. Everything came together really, really well and I was expecting how everything really clicked into place so that was really awesome! The writing was really quite good but I think it just isn't quite my style, or at least not something that I'm looking for at this point in time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kids of Appetite.

March 25, 2016 – Shelved
September 12, 2016 – Shelved as: arc-physical-copy
September 12, 2016 – Shelved as: audiobook
September 12, 2016 – Shelved as: from-pub-penguin
September 12, 2016 –
11.0% "But why do books that aren't about cancer still have to be about cancer"
September 13, 2016 –
28.0% "Oh god am I going to be the black sheep? This felt like John Green territory for a while but the part I just read actually ventured out of it for a minute so I have hopes."
September 14, 2016 –
50.0% "This book is just all of the things I don't feel like reading right now"
September 15, 2016 –
September 19, 2016 –
72.0% "I mean. Not necessary."
September 19, 2016 –