Emma's Reviews > Water for Elephants

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Apr 05, 2011

I really enjoyed this book but I don’t really know why. The story was not anything extraordinary. The love story left something to be desired. Does anyone understand where exactly that came from? One minute he sees her across a crowded room and then bang!she just happens to love him too. Okay then, don’t bother to really get to know each other. Some of the characters were hardly developed, Marlena mainly. There were moments I found to be quite crude and crass. However, somehow I know that years from now I will look back at this read fondly.
My best guess is that I just liked the voice found throughout the novel. In fact I would go so far as to say the narration was superb. I have always been a fan of first person and while the bulk of this story is in fact first person, Gruen superbly weaves a sort of third person narration. The transitions are so smooth that you barely notice the shift. Gruen is just a superb narrator or maybe it’s Jacob who does the great job?
Now for a few thoughts on the film; I have four words, don’t waste your time. If the narration and not the actual story is what makes the book then it is a no brainer that a movie would fall very short. This film was really not good, at least from where I was sitting. Maybe it has to do with the major lack of chemistry between Witherspoon and Pattinson?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Water for Elephants.

April 5, 2011 – Shelved
December 26, 2011 – Started Reading
December 28, 2011 –
page 222
December 29, 2011 –
page 334
December 29, 2011 – Finished Reading

The Bibliophile Are you liking it so far?

Emma I have only read the first two chapters so far. The Intro was a little weird and kind of put me off. However, once I started the actual chapters I have found that I really like the narration. It could really go any way at this point, so I will keep you posted.