Kristin's Reviews > The Diary of a Young Girl

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

bookshelves: books-i-own

I don't think I ever read this entire book as a kid in school, and I know I never read the full, definitive edition that this one is. So this was basically a whole new experience for me.

It's definitely a weird feeling reading someone's diary. As someone who has journaled since I was about 11 or 12, I just kept thinking about my own diaries, especially from when I was about Anne's age. It was interesting because while her young age is definitely reflected in her writing (being emotional, feeling that no one understands her, starting to drift from her parents, etc.), she has a lot more wisdom than I did at that age and is obviously a much better writer. She writes about the mundane daily life stuff, but also about how she thinks and feels about deeper issues.

It was repetitive at times (but hello, that's completely understandable!), but I was so interested in Anne and everyone else in hiding...the struggles and relationships and disagreements. I can't imagine living as they had to- no wonder everyone was always bickering! It was so sad knowing how things end, and reading of Anne's mentions of the future and what she wanted in life. And their optimism there near the end of her diary was heartbreaking! Anne was excited to think she could be back in school by October, and she ended up dying just a few months after that.

This doesn't feel very coherent to me, but can you really review a diary anyway? I think it's worth reading, not only for the historical context but also because of Anne's budding writing skill.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of a Young Girl.

March 25, 2016 – Shelved