Chloe's Reviews > The Probability of Miracles

The Probability of Miracles by Wendy Wunder

Apr 05, 2011

Okay, so here's the thing. I was not planning on reading this book as soon as I bought it. I had begun reading it on Facebook , and I just had to own it. So I went out, bought it, and was done a couple days later. It's just one of those books that completely grabs hold of you and won't let you go, even when you've finished the last page.

The way Wunder handles the subject of death is so unique to the story. It makes you realize that yes, one day we will all be gone, but the world goes on. And even though we're gone physically, we never really leave. Even though Cam is convinced there's no hope left for her, she realizes she still has this summer at least, and she finally starts to have fun, to not let the cancer control her. I guess one of the main messages I got from this book is to live in the present. And I liked that when we read Cam's story, we have no choice but to focus on the here and now. Sure, we get little snippets of back story about Cam and Perry and Alicia, but mostly the book is in the moment, and Cam has to make the most of it.

Cam herself is so witty and funny, and while I was a little disappointed with some of the decisions she made, I think everything she did helped build her as a character. Perry and Alicia were also great characters, but I have to admit I was a little surprised at Perry - she never seemed too concerned or worried or upset that Cam was so sick.

Yes, this book is about death. But it's also about life and hope and miracles. Especially miracles. That's why I loved Promise. It's this magical place, such a glorious scene for the book to take place in. Miracles happen here - but not fake, cheesy miracles like you would expect to see. Instead, flamingos flock to Maine in the middle of July, and bouncy castles save your life.

Overall...
This book is amazing. It makes you think about life, and death, and miracles. Cam is so funny, and Asher is so sweet. I recommend this to any contemp. fans, although I think it's one that everyone should read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Probability of Miracles.

Quotes Chloe Liked

Wendy Wunder
“She’d trained herself for so long not to want or to hope or to wish, that she had a hard time pinning down something to ask for.”

Wendy Wunder
“Being kind is one of the hardest thing to be in high school because you're so terrified of being cut down yourself that you're always on your guard. But don't be like that. Be kind and you will be truly different. A standout. Unique and happy.”

Wendy Wunder
“. . . Mind if I take the flamingo?"
"It's $2.89."
"Whoa, Darren, you drive a hard bargain. How about I'm just going to take it?”