Lucina's Reviews > How the Duke Was Won

How the Duke Was Won by Lenora Bell

Mar 25, 2016

it was ok
bookshelves: did-not-finish, e-book, genre-historical-romance, location-england

DNF after 35% (because I don't need ripped bodices and freed rosy-tipped nipples at the 28% mark!)

2 stars for the nice writing style!

This novel was just TOO modern and silly, it way too unbelievable! For me this felt more like a parody than a real historical romance novel. I like my historicals to have humour and I don't mind them to be modern (like Courtney Milans historicals, those are modern romances with humour AND a certain historical accuracy) but this one didn't feel like a historical romance at all. The writing was good, but the story was not my cup of tea.

The protagonists as a couple, matched quite well, but I didn't liked them very much. Charlene was the illegitimate daughter of a peer and a prostitute and lived with her mother in her mothers brothel (although she tried her best not to work in that business) and was forced into pretending to be her half-sister to catch a duke (our hero) for her sister because said half-sister was still on vacation in Italy or on her way back to England. And of course no one suspected anything, because as half-sisters they look exactly alike (of course!), except for Charlenes more curvy body. Something our hero appreciates (of course!). And obviously no one questions Charlenes strange behaviour, which sometimes (or more often than not) is not very lady-like. But the good thing is our hero might be duke but he is no gentleman, so he likes women to be un-ladylike (of course!).
James, our hero, is more like a pirate than a gentleman, but sadly not one those charming pirates (yes, "Once Upon A Time" Hook I'm thinking of you! ;-)). I like my heroes to be gentlemen (even the rakes should be at least a little bit civilized) and James is very different than normal heroes in historicals. For some readers this might be a nice change, but for me it just didn't work.

Additionally I disliked the insta-lust on both parts. It was unbelievable and I hate romances where the romance is replaced by thoughts of sex and more sex and even more sex. And I really HATED the scene in which Charlenes bodice ripped and he "caught a glimpse at her lush curves and rosy-tipped nipple". This is not the type of historical romance I like. I don't think this is necessary or funny!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How the Duke Was Won.

March 25, 2016 – Shelved
May 2, 2016 – Shelved as: genre-historical-romance
May 2, 2016 – Shelved as: location-england
May 2, 2016 – Finished Reading
August 13, 2017 – Shelved as: did-not-finish

Chrissi Also so schlecht fand ich es gar nicht :) klar manche Szenen waren schon recht übertrieben, aber manches dann doch auch wieder ganz witzig

Lucina Ich bin halt für so Humor gaaar nicht zu haben XD Ich hab auch amerikanische RomComs nicht und an das hat es mich erinnert, ich mag meine HRs eher klassisch ^^