Alison's Reviews > Authority

Authority by Jeff VanderMeer

bookshelves: dcpl_elibrary, ebook, fiction, re-read
Read 2 times. Last read July 30, 2019 to August 1, 2019.

Somehow this library loan expired, but didn't disappear from my kindle so I was able to finish it, which is good because I think if I had wound up having to wait for it again, I would've had to start over to keep the thread of the story. This picks up where Annihilation leaves off, but from the perspective of the Southern Reach, the government organization that's running expeditions into Area X. As it turns out, one of the expedition members from the last book was the director, and the new director is trying to untangle the mess of documents and information she left behind. There's a lot of weird internal politics in this one, and some very strange happenings. I'm interested to read the third part.

August 2019: Second time around I feel like there’s still a lot I didn’t quite pick up on, but then again I think that’s the point. There’s supposed to be a certain amount of weird disorientation. The internal politics felt like less of an issue this time as I started to wonder to what extent the people working for the Southern Reach were entirely in control of their own actions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Authority.

March 24, 2016 – Started Reading
March 31, 2016 – Finished Reading
July 30, 2019 – Started Reading
August 1, 2019 – Shelved as: re-read
August 1, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Leann (new)

Leann If you don't connect your Kindle to the internet, it won't realize it's expired ... :)

Alison Right! But the thing is that it was connected to the wifi. I had something else that automatically downloaded while this was going on. Every time I picked it up I expected that it would be expired but it wasn't. Very weird.

message 3: by Leann (new)

Leann Oooh interesting. I guess you just got lucky!