zelle (fragilemyths)'s Reviews > Six of Crows

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

19862820

bookshelves: books-i-own, fantasy, young-adult

I started reading this in the middle of May, but I didn't quite understand what was happening. So I decided to read Bardugo's Grisha trilogy in order to get a better grasp on the world she created. After completing the trilogy, I went straight into Six of Crows. Though I was not a big fan of the Grisha trilogy, I LOVED Six of Crows! the only reason why I docked a star is because i don't like alternating POV's.

It isn't perfect, it isn't fluffy, and it certainly isn't light.

It's exactly the kind of dark, gritty, THRILLING masterpiece I've been looking for. Kaz Brekker, 17-year-old criminal mastermind, was so full of surprises and twists in plans. He's spontaneous. Fickle yet unflinchingly reliable. He's a paradox within a paradox. I loved his tendency to gamble and play on chance. He literally lives life on the edge! I've never met a character more intense and bent on crime and clever yet dirty tricks, even when I read How to Lead a Life of Crime a few years ago.

“Kaz leaned back. "What's the easiest way to steal a man's wallet?"
"Knife to the throat?" asked Inej.
"Gun to the back?" said Jesper.
"Poison in his cup?" suggested Nina.
"You're all horrible," said Matthias."

I'm inclined to believe you, Matthias. and let me just tell you, Nina and Inej are F-I-E-R-C-E. I admire Inej's inner strength so much. Despite the nameless horrors she endured in the Menagerie with the malicious Tante Heleen, she continues to carry on and better herself, earning every bit of her cool nickname, the Wraith. (view spoiler)
Nina is talented at a variety of things, from Heartrending to Tailoring to talking her way out tricky situations. (view spoiler) I don't know if it's just me, but I ship Nina and Matthias so, so hard. Best of all, the tense romance between the two of them didn't distract from the plot at all!

Jesper and his tendencies to joke helped lighten the mood when it became too heavy and overbearing. (view spoiler)
Wylan was cool too. He added a little bit of "normal-ness" and goodness to an otherwise crazy crew. Crazy as in they like doing the impossible and they're good at it. Hmmm and it feels as if the author is pushing Jesper+Wylan...not sure how I feel about that yet.

“Jesper knocked his head against the hull and cast his eyes heavenward. "Fine. But if Pekka Rollins kills us all, I'm going to get Wylan's ghost to teach my ghost how to play the flute just so that I can annoy the hell out of your ghost."

Brekker's lips quirked. "I'll just hire Matthias' ghost to kick your ghost's ass."

"My ghost won't associate with your ghost," Matthias said primly, and then wondered if the sea air was rotting his brain.”

moments like this one made me laugh. THAT'S WHEN YOU KNOW A BOOK IS GOOD. NOT ONLY DOES IT MAKE YOU LAUGH, BUT IT MAKES YOU LAUGH DESPITE HOW DARK IT IS.

as for the ending, i would be lying if i said i saw that coming. i guessed it would probably involve double-crossing and betrayal of some sort, but never (view spoiler) Crooked Kingdom can't be released soon enough! I read an excerpt on the author's website, BUT I AM NOT SATISFIED!!

I'll just leave you with this.

“I’m going to get my money, Kaz vowed. And I’m going to get my girl.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Six of Crows.

March 24, 2016 – Shelved