Jamie (Books and Ladders)'s Reviews > Relentless

Relentless by Tera Lynn Childs

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

This is the second book in a series, so be cautious of spoiler! I reviewed Powerless on my blog if you want to check it out.

I really enjoyed this one. Much like Powerless, Relentless has a good mix of action and problem solving while still being quite believable. There were some things that were too easy and coincidental that made it really easy for our heroes (villains?) but I still really liked it.

I liked that Kenna was seen as the leader and really stepped up. I liked that even when she faced obstacles she didn't back down, but I did like that she was still looking to spend time with Draven and her friends and just relax. Everyone needs down time, even people on the run for their lives. All the characters were believable and well developed. I do think there was a pretty big cast considering but I liked that there were lots of characters to do different things. I would also be okay with a novella about (view spoiler) just saying. I did think that Riley was written like a younger brother to Rebel and I had to continuously remind myself that he wasn't 12 years old tbh. But I think his development from hero to skeptical was really great.

I also really liked that there was a lot of action. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time wondering what was going to happen and how it was going to conclude. I did feel like this one wrapped everything up pretty neatly but I would enjoy another book. I'm not sure if there IS another book or not, but I would like there to be one. I'm going off the basis that this is a duology and say that this book has a good conclusion but leaves room for more to be said if a third book is in the works. I think there are still some unresolved threads but they aren't ones that I am like "BUT WHAT ABOUT THIS??" because they don't really NEED an explanation. I would like to know more but I don't need to know more, if you know what I mean.

I liked the writing and the plot of this one. I think there were a lot of phrases that were repeated fairly often (i.e. "pissing contest") which were fine the first couple times but then got old afterwards. I think the dialogue was witty and believable and I liked that they FELT like teenagers who were just trying to survive in a messed up world where they were wanted for dead.

I did think there were a lot of convenient things that happened in this one that made it easier for the characters to succeed. I thought that it detracted from the story because if there was a problem, well we knew it would have a fairly simple solution for our heroes (villains?). I thought the ending was way too easy even though there was a chance that (view spoiler) because it went super according to plan. I liked it better when they had to improvise. A lot of their plans were just easy and while they had some issues throughout the story, they didn't have too much to worry about tbh. The first couple times it happened, it was fine because it was still action and engaging, but after the second and third time, it got to be too easy.

I highly recommend this series if you are looking for lots of actions and likeable characters! As well, fans of Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson will really enjoy this one.

Books and Ladders | Queen of the Bookshelves | Books Are My Fandom | Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin'
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Relentless.

March 24, 2016 – Shelved
March 24, 2016 – Shelved as: need-now
March 24, 2016 – Shelved as: june-2016
April 10, 2016 – Started Reading
April 10, 2016 –
1.0% "starting this one because it'll be a fun quick read"
April 10, 2016 –
37.0% "I really like this series tbh"
April 10, 2016 –
51.0% "Okay great revelation but I thought that was pretty obvious"
April 10, 2016 – Finished Reading