MB (What she read)'s Reviews > Leviathans of Jupiter

Leviathans of Jupiter by Ben Bova

Apr 05, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: science-fiction, unfinished

Quit halfway through. A decent plot but the villain's character was so incredibly stupid, and annoying, (and pervasive) that I just couldn't force myself to finish it.

The poor characterization was forcing the rest of the plot and characters to conform to things that made absolutely no sense and caused so many plot holes and improbabilities, that it was impossible to keep from saying, 'but, but, but, real people don't behave like that! But, but, but, no one could be that stupid and put up with that kind of nonsense!' ...I just couldn't take it anymore.

Sorry, I tried.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leviathans of Jupiter.

April 5, 2011 – Started Reading
April 5, 2011 – Shelved
April 5, 2011 – Shelved as: science-fiction
April 6, 2011 –
page 98
20.55% "The villain is very Cruella De Villeish."
April 6, 2011 – Finished Reading
August 15, 2017 – Shelved as: unfinished

Greg did you read the first, Jupiter or any of the other book, in fact??

MB (What she read) No, this was my first try w/Bova. Do you recommend any of the others?

Greg MB wrote: "No, this was my first try w/Bova. Do you recommend any of the others?"
OH yes!!
there are lots of books in the grand tour. first they are science fiction and start out with the book Powersat(humans send the first satellites into space. I didn't read this one). then they go to the moon to mars and all the way to jupiter and saturn.

Here's the books in chronological order

1. POWERSAT (Tor Books 2005)
2. EMPIRE BUILDERS (Tor Books, 1993)
3. MARS (Bantam Books, 1992)
4. MOONRISE (Avon Books, 1996)
5. MOONWAR (Avon Books, 1998)
6. RETURN TO MARS (Avon Books, 1999)
7. THE PRECIPICE (Tor Books, 2001)
8. JUPITER (Tor Books, 2001)
9. THE ROCK RATS (Tor Books, 2002)
10. THE SILENT WAR (Tor Books, 2004)
11. THE AFTERMATH (Tor Books, 2007)
12. SATURN (Tor Books, 2003)
13. LEVIATHANS OF JUPITER (Tor Books, 2011)
14. TITAN (Tor Books, 2006)
15. MERCURY (Tor Books, 2005)
16. MARS LIFE (Tor Books, 2008)
17. VENUS (Tor Books, 2000)
18. THE RETURN (Tor Books, 2009)

they are made at different times but it all works out. ex.: mars was written first then moonrise, but obviously we'd have gone to the moon first.
I tried reading moonrise but i found it boring because i read other, later books beforehand.

I really recommend the mars books if your going to skip the moon one's, but i incourage you to read them in order, say you read mars then read mars life then mars life. or the asteroid wars:THE PRECIPICE, THE ROCK RATS, THE SILENT WAR, THE SILENT WAR.

they are really all awesome but my absolute favorites were Jupiter and the mars books.

=D X 10