Jenn's Reviews > Alice in Sunderland

Alice in Sunderland by Bryan Talbot

Apr 05, 2011

bookshelves: library-books, just-read, graphic-novel
Read in April, 2011

I picked this one up purely for the title, I confess. Charlotte is obsessed with Alice in Wonderland, and I live in Sunderland Massachusetts (the book is, of course, referring to Sunderland, England). I am positive that whoever bought this book for the Sunderland Public Library bought it for the title, too.

This book reminded me a lot of From Hell, in that it is a wandering tale of the history of a place in the UK in graphic novel form. But where From Hell had kind of two layers, the story of Jack the Ripper plus the history of Whitechapel & freemasonry, this book was really just about how Alice in Wonderland & Lewis Carroll could have been referring to the area & history of Sunderland.

Well-written & enjoyable, if you like the history and background of a piece of literature, and I do. My favorite part of this was how sometimes a different narrator would take over. The digression would be written in a different voice, and drawn in a different comic style. A ghost story was told like a campy horror comic, for example.

This one is going on my Amazon list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice in Sunderland.

message 1: by AJ (new) - rated it 1 star

AJ LeBlanc I wish I had reviewed this one when I read it to tell you why I gave it one star.

Jenn I'm considering downgrading to a 3, because, really, 1 whole star-worth is just my amusement factor at finding it at the right time. But I think I'll let it stay. Why did you give it just 1? I'm very curious.