Deborah Cannon's Reviews > Umnitsa

Umnitsa by John T. Cullen

Apr 05, 2011

Read from April 05 to May 26, 2011

When I finished UMNITSA, I realized it had taken me a bit longer than I expected as this book is a very thought-provoking read. In many ways it is literary in style - with lovely descriptive prose that brings the settings alive - although the World War ll espionage theme is not. I kept wondering why the motives of the characters were never very clear, why author John Cullen kept everything so secret and why the characters seemed to be driven by the tide (literally and metaphorically), rather than actively engaged in solving their own problems. I came to the conclusion that the military crushes individuality and personal will and must do so in order for the war machine to work. Everyone must do their part without asking questions, hence War makes victims of us all. In that sense, it is very profound. Cullen is also adept at bringing the nuances of the German and Russian characters to life. You can hear the accents without him having to use too much of the real language. One word of warning, this book is not for you if you are looking for a spy thriller, with high octane action throughout.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Umnitsa.