Eh?Eh!'s Reviews > A Betrayal in Winter

A Betrayal in Winter by Daniel Abraham

Apr 05, 2011

bookshelves: babble-added
Read from March 27 to April 05, 2011

...and the real show begins.

This book starts about 10 years later. The character who turned out to be the main guy in the first book is now a courier, wavering towards leaving his trade. For a woman, of course. But his past ruins that plan and he ends up having to return to his first home that he hadn't seen since he was a child.

Each of the Summer Cities has a ruler who holds the throne on the blood of his brothers. Each ruler is expected to take many wives and have many babies. The females become bargaining chips, the younger boys are sent away to poet school where they will either become poets or be branded upon leaving the school and with that mark no longer be considered a viable candidate for the throne, and the eldest 3 males will eventually fight until only 1 is left to inherit the city.

The ruler of the northernmost city is dying. His sons start dying. Too easy to spoiler this one! I guess it's revealed long before the end of the book, so (view spoiler).

Another love triange, mehmoomuh (that means "whatever"). My favorite character, Sinja, comes in the 2nd half. I love his one-liner.

The same plot feeler is discovered in this one, from the same source, and then....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Betrayal in Winter.

Eh?Eh! I only thought to link them because I finished all the books in this series in a short period. I haven't finished an epic series in a while or I might've done it sooner...it's either been too long since I read it or the authors are stiiiiiiiiiill writing more and more books (or die on us). I've given up on them.

I love these books and my experience reading them made them blur together. Since I mostly summarize anyway I wouldn't have been able to make much of them individually on these here review spaces.

The andats are that 'ideas given volition' thing. They do have mass because they're described as wearing robes, and carrying things or being carried. I don't think they're like golems, only taking orders? These actively scheme. But in a limited way. You should read these and see!