Annie's Reviews > Torn

did not like it
bookshelves: crap
Recommended for: Preteens
Read from April 04 to 08, 2011

What the hell IS this? Did Amanda Hocking miss out on the sixth grade English when they taught the basic outline of a story? There needs to be a beginning ... a middle ... a CLIMAX ... and an end. This wasn’t even a story, it was just a random bunch of non - events.

The most annoying part of this “book” was the complete lack of progress or pacing. The beginning actually wasn’t bad; Wendy was kidnapped by the Vittra and I actually thought the whole book was going to be like this, but no. Once Wendy gets back home, nothing happens at all. There are endless conversations in this book that lead nowhere, talking about what they could do, what they should do, what they want to do, what they plan to do but there is NO ACTION AT ALL. Every time the plot could have gone somewhere, it backed out – the Chancellor suggests an attack, but they say no, they research ways to loophole out of the Vitrra peace agreement, but they don’t find anything. If you aren’t planning on going anywhere with something, then don’t bring it up! Don’t just have pointless, repetitive conversations just to make it novel length!

Speaking of pointless, repetitive conversations, the info dumps annoyed the hell out of me. There would be whole chapters devoted to back story. And for some reason, after every conversation or event, Wendy would feel the need to repeat exactly what happened over again, once again, to what, add page length?

This is the first and last time I ever try an indie author. There’s a reason this “writer” isn’t published except apparently, because of her success, she IS getting published now. (Upon reflection, swearing off all indie authors because of one author is a ridiculous statement to make. Not being traditionally published doesn't really mean you can't write). I don’t know how she became so popular, as everything about her screams “amateur.” I read the epilogue of the final book (I couldn’t bear to read another book of this) just to see how it ends. And ...

(SPOILER OF FINAL BOOK)

... she doesn’t end up with Finn? Because he didn’t fight for her? Wha? I thought it was clear that Wendy understood what had to be done for the sake of the kingdom, and that she could NOT be with him. She explains all the reasons why they can’t be together over and over and over to the reader, yet she still gets pissed? At the beginning of the first book, I actually kind of like Wendy because she was so refreshing. She was very independent, snarky and she actually punched a girl in the face. Not what I’m used to in heroines. But, as usual, she turned out like all the rest being clingy, selfish, whiny and above all, STUPID.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Torn.

Quotes Annie Liked

Amanda Hocking
“I don’t know. After the downstairs, I assumed something creepier and dirtier.” I
shrugged. “You didn’t have electricity down there.”
“It’s for dramatic effect.” Loki gestured widely. “It’s a dungeon.”
Amanda Hocking, Torn
tags: humor

03/07/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Goldie (new)

Goldie I just finished reading a self published book too and had the same thoughts as you... I'm surprised that all this drivel gets good ratings by other readers.

Diana I have the same thoughts but i'd rather say it in a polite way. Manners are manners but i still agree with you.

Kristy I started these books a couple of years back and saw them when I got a new Nook. I literally could not remember anything about them that's how terrible it is. I have the third book and I need to finish it but this woman's writing is terrible. The way these "Royal" people speak is like a bratty teenager. I'm embarrassed by the continued use of "yeah" instead of yes by a princess. Good thing I did not pay for these books.

Tanya I agree with you, I couldn't even finish the book. I hated Wendy, her character did start out good in the first book but soon changed to a selfish brat. A lot of repetition in the story line. I didn't read the entire book, I stopped when they captured the guy who had kidnapped her and she protected him, and was thinking of a way to save him? I couldn't read any more after that. This series was nothing like I was expecting, and I doubt I will read a book by this author again

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

It got good ratings because it was a good book. And there is a beginning, middle, and end. She`s not a selfish brat, it just fits in that she`s totally unprepared for this life and being a leader. Plus she just got kidnapped by her Vittra father, the enemy of the Trylle. At least she`s not some stuck-up high-school girl.

message 6: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Lord That's pretty harsh...

Annie Alicia wrote: "That's pretty harsh..."

What's harsh is that she made me pay for that.

Annie Grace wrote: "It got good ratings because it was a good book. And there is a beginning, middle, and end. She`s not a selfish brat, it just fits in that she`s totally unprepared for this life and being a leader. ..."

Agree to disagree.