Deanna 's Reviews > The Couple Next Door

The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena

My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

I still haven't listened to very many audiobooks. While I prefer to read on my e-reader or read a book, I really do like having the option to listen to an audiobook now and then. It's a nice change and I can close my eyes (as long as I'm not driving). But I don't close my eyes often as usually it doesn't matter how exciting the audiobook is, I could very well fall asleep.

However, I didn't have that problem with this one. I was pretty into it and it was very unlikely that I was going to fall asleep.

Anne and Marco Conti are new parents to a six-month-old baby girl named Cora. It seems they have it all. The are financially comfortable, they have a great marriage and now they have a beautiful baby.

Everything is perfect.

Since having Cora, the couple don't go out very often. So when their friends/neighbors invite them over for a dinner party they are excited to go, well Marco is. Anne Conti would prefer not to go, especially since the neighbors, Cynthia and Graham Stillwell don't want children at the party. Anne agrees to go and they schedule a babysitter. But the night of the party the sitter cancels leaving them with no one to watch Cora. Anne tells her husband she's fine staying home with the baby. Marco really wants her to come, he thinks it would be good for her to go.

"It will be good for you to get out, you know what the doctor said"

Eventually Anne agrees to go, but only if they take the baby monitor and check on Cora every half hour. They arrive at the party but Anne just can't seem to enjoy herself. She has some wine but even that doesn't help. She's miserable...especially as she watches her "friend" flirt with Marco. Cynthia is gorgeous and beside her Anne feels horrible about herself, she's very insecure about the baby weight she is still carrying.

On top of that, lately it seems that something has been off with her husband. She's not sure if it's her imagination or something else. Is he keeping something from her?

By one in the morning, Anne has had enough and wants to go home. Marco wants to stay for another drink. Quickly she becomes tired of waiting and tells him she's leaving with or without him. Marco decides to go home with Anne.

As they walk up to their from door, they notice that it's open. Anne is positive she shut the door when she was last there to check on Cora.

They both immediately run up the stairs and into the baby room. They look into the crib and Anne screams.....

I will leave it at that as I really don't want to spoil anything.

I really enjoyed this audiobook. A great domestic suspense that honestly pulled me in right from the start. The plot was great and I thought the story flowed well. I didn't have any trouble keeping up or keeping track of who was who like I sometimes do with audiobooks.

I'm finding that the right narrator can make all the difference when it comes to listening to any audiobook and I think the narrator for "The Couple Next Door" was great.

I look forward to more from Shari Lapena!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Couple Next Door.

March 23, 2016 – Shelved
Started Reading
October 1, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)

Maureen Great review Deanna, I LOVED this book.

message 2: by Zoeytron (new) - added it

Zoeytron Enjoyed your review, Deanna. Really looking forward to this one.

message 3: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen One that's on my radar! Thanks D!

Jeannie Great review! This book was hard to put down!

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna Great review, Deanna! I'm glad you enjoyed the story while listening to it on audio. A good narrator can make it a wonderful experience. I hope you'll find more audiobooks to like in the future. :)

Deanna Zoeytron wrote: "Enjoyed your review, Deanna. Really looking forward to this one."

Thank you, ZT <3 I hope you enjoy it!!!

Jen wrote: "One that's on my radar! Thanks D!"

Thanks Jen :) Hope you get to read it soon too!

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy Terrific review Deanna! :)

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Excellent review Deanna! This looks good!

message 9: by Deanna (last edited Nov 08, 2016 01:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deanna Donna wrote: "Great review, Deanna! I'm glad you enjoyed the story while listening to it on audio. A good narrator can make it a wonderful experience. I hope you'll find more audiobooks to like in the future. :)"

Thank you, Donna! I'm listening to one right now and it's pretty good.
I hope you are enjoying what you are reading or listening to currently <3

Amy wrote: "Terrific review Deanna! :)"

Mary wrote: "Excellent review Deanna! This looks good! "

Thank you, Mary!!

Renee (itsbooktalk) I agree, the narrator can make all the difference. I like audiobooks but sometimes can't listen if the narrator bothers me. Good review!

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary Deanna,what a riveting, compelling and suspense filled review.
Loved it!
Based on your words alone,I think I've found another for my TBR pile!

message 12: by Paromjit (new)

Paromjit Sounds like a thrilling book, Deanna. Wonderful review. x

message 13: by Jonetta (new) - added it

Jonetta Wonder review, Deanna! Can't wait to listen to this one.

message 14: by Linda (new)

Linda Great review, Deanna! Sounds really good!

The Pfaeffle Journal (Diane) you have me hooked, I want to listen to this....

Deanna Mary wrote: "Deanna,what a riveting, compelling and suspense filled review.
Loved it!
Based on your words alone,I think I've found another for my TBR pile!"

You are so sweet, Mary. Thank you for the kind comments :)

Katerina wrote: "Fantastic review, Deanna! <3"

Paromjit wrote: "Sounds like a thrilling book, Deanna. Wonderful review. x"

message 17: by Connie (new)

Connie G Great review! Wow, it sounds full of suspense!

message 18: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean Nooooo! You can't leave it there! LOL

Fabulous review Deanna :)

Deanna Jonetta wrote: "Wonder review, Deanna! Can't wait to listen to this one."

Thank you, Jonetta!

Linda wrote: "Great review, Deanna! Sounds really good!"

The Pfaeffle Journal wrote: "you have me hooked, I want to listen to this...."

Thanks :)

Janel Great Review, maybe I'll try this one as an audio book.

Deanna Connie wrote: "Great review! Wow, it sounds full of suspense!"

Deanna Jean wrote: "Nooooo! You can't leave it there! LOL

Fabulous review Deanna :)"

Aww thank you, Jean!!

message 23: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth McCraw I've been loving audio books while on the treadmill, I'll have to check this one out!

message 24: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Nice review, Deanna. I haven't listened to many audiobooks, but am tempted to try them again.

Deanna Haylee → (puppy love♥ = my sweetie) = Maddie ♥ + wrote: "Lovely review ❤ (:V)"

Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books) I'm excited to read this! I'm glad you liked it! I'm with you on audiobooks though. There are a few I had a hard time listening to because I didn't like the narrators. I like to alternate between my kindle and audiobook sometimes!

message 27: by Jessica's (new)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Great review sweetie :)

message 28: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Great review! I'm about three quarters through with this book, Wow, lots of unexpected plot twists. Can't wait to see how it will end.

Carole Great review!

Deanna Janel wrote: "Great Review, maybe I'll try this one as an audio book."

Thanks, Janel :)

Beth wrote: "I've been loving audio books while on the treadmill, I'll have to check this one out!"

I hope you like it, Beth :)

Nancy wrote: "Nice review, Deanna. I haven't listened to many audiobooks, but am tempted to try them again."

Thank you, Nancy. I'm enjoying them more now :)

Deanna Danielle wrote: "I'm excited to read this! I'm glad you liked it! I'm with you on audiobooks though. There are a few I had a hard time listening to because I didn't like the narrators. I like to alternate between m..."

I like alternating too :) I hope you get a chance to read it - or listen to it and that you enjoy it, Danielle.

Deanna Jessica's wrote: "Great review sweetie :)"

Anna wrote: "Great review! I'm about three quarters through with this book, Wow, lots of unexpected plot twists. Can't wait to see how it will end."

Thank you, Anna. I'm glad you are enjoying it. Lots of twists :)

Carole wrote: "Great review!"

message 33: by Katie (new)

Katie Great review, Deanna. One of my new year resolutions is to multi task more so I'm thinking audio books might be the way forward!

Deanna Katie wrote: "Great review, Deanna. One of my new year resolutions is to multi task more so I'm thinking audio books might be the way forward!"

Thank you, Katie. It really is a nice option to have. I hope you try it and enjoy it :) Happy Reading (and listening)!!

message 35: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill Excellent review Deanna ... so fun that we have such different perspectives on this one ... thanks for the share!

Deanna Bill wrote: "Excellent review Deanna ... so fun that we have such different perspectives on this one ... thanks for the share!"

Thank you, Bill. I just checked out your review and really enjoyed it! We do have some different opinions but that does make it more interesting. How boring we would be if we all enjoyed the same books. Great review, Bill :)

message 37: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina Great review! This one is on my radar. I too love audio books (especially when you're too busy to actually sit down and read.) They can be quite enticing. :)

message 38: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Excellent review! And you're right a narrator can definitely make or break an audiobook

Deanna Thank you, Tina :) I hope you enjoy it. I'm starting to like them more and more as time goes on :)

Melissa Great review, Deanna! I'm hoping to get to this one soon. I've recently gotten into audio books and it sure does make cleaning and other boring tasks go by a lot quicker. :)

Deanna Amy wrote: "Excellent review! And you're right a narrator can definitely make or break an audiobook"

Aj the Ravenous Reader Love the intriguing and yet non-spoilery review, Ate Deanna. <3

Deanna Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "Love the intriguing and yet non-spoilery review, Ate Deanna. <3"

message 44: by Ɗẳɳ 2.☊ (new)

Ɗẳɳ  2.☊ Nice review, Deanna.

Get you one of those newfangled Elon Musk self driving cars, close your eyes, and pray for the best. I'm sure it'll all work out fine, and not only will you have a story to listen to, but a story to tell.

Deanna Ɗắɳ 2.☠ wrote: "Nice review, Deanna.

Haha :) Thanks, Dan!

message 46: by Charlene (new) - added it

Charlene Quinn Another great review from you Deanna. Can't wait to read this one. X

Christina Great review, another read I'm looking forward to!

Deanna Charlene wrote: "Another great review from you Deanna. Can't wait to read this one. X"

Thank you, Charlene! I hope you enjoy it too <3

Kelly (and the Book Boar) I am number 56 on the waiting list. I want it NOOOOOOOOOW. I need to stop seeing this review and reminding me about my first world problem ; )

Deanna Christina wrote: "Great review, another read I'm looking forward to!"

Thank you, Christina!!