Lisa Jo's Reviews > Love Immortal

Apr 04, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: contemporary, paranormal, kindle-books
Read from April 04 to 17, 2011

Love Immortal starts out incredibly strong but falls hopelessly flat by the end. While Hall has a great talent for setting up a wonderful story with romantic characters, it is the plot execution and completion of the novel that took a serious detour from the original beauty of this novel.

Jewell McKean, a young woman recently out of nursing school, finds herself fascinated with the man brought into the ER from a recent accident. As first, she’s horrified by the fact that they could not save him, but minutes later, he miraculously comes back to life. Forming a personal interest in his recovery, Jewell and this patient, Collin Sykes, forge a bond during his stay at the hospital. Once he is dismissed, they continue their relationship despite the protests from Collin’s Uncle Percy. Percy has good reason to discourage Collin’s attachment to Jewell. Collin is oblivious to the fact that he is a decadent of the Templar Knights which means he is immortal. That alone should make any relationship with her impossible, but there is also the small matter of the Obsidian Knights. They are a small group out to murder the last of the Templar Knights for defiling the Holy Grail and Collin is their main target. Not only is Collin in danger now, but Jewell is as well. Their relationship not only must struggle with the fact that Collin is immortal, but the threat of the Obsidian Knights as well to see if true love can prevail.

An interesting premise, Love Immortal is really a young adult romance about the difficulty of true love and who can’t relate with that? Still, the novel has it’s moments and it had its shortcomings. Hall is not shy about establishing the fact of her story paralleling the ever popular Stephanie Meyer series Twilight. The heroine is in fact reading the novel while living out the scenario in her real life. The main difference is the fact that instead of a vampire lifestyle for our hero, we have an immortal and historical Templar Knight for the lead. It was a interesting and different idea that for quiet a while had me completely convinced of it’s probability of succeeding.

The characters had their moments. The beginning was filled with hopeful and innocent love between a boy and a girl, engaging the reader in their delightful awkward romance. Yet near the end the book took a strange twist. Colin’s uncle did things that I would find unforgivable in any situation yet his nephew found it in his heart to forgive him. Which made absolutely no sense to me, but after learning more about Colin’s character, did not surprise me anymore. Colin was the boy of every girls dream at first, but creepily obsessive by the end. Which in some ways may him a perfect match for Jewel as she became a depressed shell of a person if he was more than six feet away from her. All the characters seemed to fall apart at the seams by the book’s end. I just didn’t know what to think.

The ending is what dropped this book from three stars to two and what is terrible about that fact is the ending was probably one hundred words or less. I look at any book as a journey...somewhat like a walk along a path. The enjoyment of the book depends on the difficulty or ease of the journey. Love Immortal took me on a pleasant stroll through the first half that I quiet enjoyed. By the middle, I felt like it was a bit of an uphill climb but persevered because of my enjoyment of the first half. The ending? Well, the ending felt like I had just made it to the top of the hill only to discover a drastic and terribly fall off a cliff. It wasn’t entertaining, it wasn’t thoughtful and it wasn’t a conclusive end. It was abrupt, unsatisfying and illogical. I felt like that story had been completely abandoned and concluded as quickly as inefficiently as possible.

A part of me wondered if two different people wrote this book. The first half was so impressive, I really expected a stunning read. If you would have asked me half way through what I expected to rate this novel, I would have determined this a possible four star book. The second half just came out of no where and did not live up to the expectations built up from the first half. If Hall’s work is consistent with the quality I discovered in the beginning of Love Immortal, I would not hesitate to read her work again.

Overall Rating: 2/5
Heat Level: 1/5

Lisa @ Once Upon A Chapter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Immortal.