Dessa Mae's Reviews > Strange the Dreamer

Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor

Read 2 times. Last read January 19, 2017 to March 21, 2017.

**reread**

Before starting with Muse of Nightmares, I decided to reread this first by listening to the audiobook, and OMG the feels that I felt the first time I've read this resurfaced again. I seriously love Lazlo Strange. He's such a cinnamon roll ❤

The audiobook was 18 hours long but I really enjoyed listening to it. I had fun reciting the lines that I know whenever the narrator gets to those parts.

I'm now ready to read Muse of Nightmares, which I bet is as much a roller coaster ride as Strange the Dreamer was.

_________________________________________________

Thank you so much Hachette Australia for sending me an eARC of this wonderful book

Laini Taylor is one of my favorite authors. I really love her Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy so I was really excited to read Strange the Dreamer. And like her previous books, I was amazed again at how good she is in telling stories. I really love how she create such wonders with only the use of words. Her descriptions are so detailed, so vivid, and it's so amazing how you can easily imagine the world she created out of words. Her writing style appeal to all of our senses - you can see, hear, smell, feel, and taste like you are a part of the story with only the use of words, and that alone, is magic.

This book is somehow similar to her previous books - full of magic, mystery, and wonder. Laini Taylor yet again created another fantastic world with fascinating people and other creatures. Myths, monsters, magic, gods and goddesses, plot twists and a nerdy protagonist... all that good stuff, you can find it here!

The main character, Lazlo Strange, as the title would say, is a dreamer, but I would call him a book nerd. He loves to read books and he's obsessed with this mysterious, magical city. As readers, we could all relate to him. We love discovering new worlds hidden in the pages of a book, wondering if they really exist. We devour stories like they are food that we need to survive. At times, stories are escape pods from reality, and as far as I could tell, Lazlo felt the same way.

While I really enjoyed reading this book, there were some parts that I found a little bit slow. If I compare these parts to an electrocardiogram, they would be the flat, horizontal lines. It took me 2 months to finish the book because I often get bored and lose interest when I reach those flat lines.

The last few chapters made up for the slow parts of the book though. This part was an emotional roller coaster and I was in that ride. So much stuff was happening and it was very overwhelming! I can't believe that I felt so many emotions - happiness, excitement, anxiety, sadness, grief, dread, anger - in just a few chapters! I devoured these chapters as fast as I could, always wanting to know what would happen next...until I've reached the end, and my heart stopped beating.

I still want to talk more about this book because there are so many things to talk about, but it's best to dive into this book without knowing that much to maintain the "mysterious vibes" that it wants the readers to experience. I really enjoyed Strange the Dreamer even though it took me a very long time to finish it. I highly recommend it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strange the Dreamer.

March 22, 2016 – Shelved
March 22, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 19, 2017 – Started Reading
January 19, 2017 –
page 1
0.19% "The "Daughter of Smoke and Bone" Trilogy is one of my favorites so I'm really excited to read this! ❤"
January 31, 2017 –
18.0% "Their blue skin reminds me so much of Karou's blue hair in Daughter of Smoke and Bone ❤"
March 21, 2017 –
84.0% "Well, that was very detailed xD"
March 21, 2017 –
89.0% "I finally reached the most exciting part"
March 21, 2017 –
94.0% "WHAT IS HAPPENING??!!"
95.0% "OMG WHAAAAAT"
March 21, 2017 – Finished Reading
August 4, 2018 – Started Reading (Hardcover Edition)
August 4, 2018 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
August 4, 2018 – Shelved as: rereads (Hardcover Edition)
August 4, 2018 – Shelved as: audiobooks (Hardcover Edition)
August 5, 2018 –
10.0% "I was reminded again of how much I despise Thyon Nero in the beginning of the book. Poor Lazlo :(" (Hardcover Edition)
August 16, 2018 –
75.0% "I really love Lazlo's sense of humor 😂" (Hardcover Edition)
August 17, 2018 – Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)