Calimie's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith

Apr 04, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: read-in-2010
Recommended for: those who can't look away from bad books

** spoiler alert ** Fantastic idea, mediocre execution.

I didn't like the writing of this book, it made the characters feel like parodies of themselves. I wish the author had taken the fanfic route and simply written an AU without being constrained by P&P's plot and text.

As it stands, this book is little more that random zombies on the roads and character derailment.

I'll be honest: what really puts me off this book is Wickham's fate. Not only Darcy breaks his spine (oh, yeah, he'd sure do that) and leaves him quadraplegic but we're supposed to laugh at his disability and at Lydia's future talking care of him and cleaning him. Yes, because when he's upset at someone he shits himself to get back at them. Soo funny, guys. And Lydia totally deserves her misery for being a hussy.

As for apropiation, Lizzy is so much better at being a ninja than those silent and useless Japanese bodyguards she murders about 50 of them to prove a point. Right, she's a better ninja than professional ninjas.

This book left a bad taste in my mouth and it wasn't the constant vomit. It did had some nice scenes, like the fight in the kitchens or the mention of the burning pile of bodies at a neighbouring town but it's not enough to cover its huge faults.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.