Jewel's Reviews > Imperfect Harmony

Imperfect Harmony by Jay Northcote

bookshelves: review-copy, four-point-five-stars, mm, contemporary, z-2016-200-299

4.5 Stars

2016 has been good to me so far with the books! If there is one thing I like even better than stories of self discovery, it's second chance stories, and Imperfect Harmony does not disappoint.

Both John and Rhys know what it's like to lose a loved one. In John's case, he lost his partner of twenty years and still bears the guilt of surviving. Rhys lost his boyfriend to death, too, and it wrecked him, and being so young, he maybe didn't quite have the coping skills that life experience will get you. None the less, both John and Rhys grieved heavily and do still.

I found it easy to identify with John. Not in the 'lost the love of your life' kind of identify, thank FSM, but I'm around his age and I've been with my husband for 23 years. I know that if I lost him I would be devastated. And completely unprepared to reenter the dating scene. And that isn't even taking into consideration the possibility of dating someone so much younger. I get the insecurity from the age gap and the being a bit softer than I was when I was 23. So, it would be scary and I get John's hesitation where Rhys is concerned.

And John is out of his depth for much of the book.

Rhys is young and confident and while he might not have known he was ready to move on, he is. He still grieves for Lyle, but something about John just calls out to him. And John feels the same for Rhys. They have music in common, and grief, too. Rhys is older than his years would suggest. He's a responsible adult who buried his lover a couple years ago. That'll age even the young. And Rhys is willing to take a chance that the connection he feels to John is the real thing.

I always know I can count on Jay Northcote to serve me up a story, so sweet. And she did that here. There's not a whole lot of angst (just John being a bit stubborn every now and again), and I loved that when they first get together, there is some awkwardness. Neither man had been with anyone since they lost their partners and they're both so nervous. That nervousness was sweet and real to me.

Needless to say (at this point), I loved Imperfect Harmony, from the first page, to the ever so sweet last page of the epilogue. I believe in second chances.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imperfect Harmony.

March 22, 2016 – Shelved
March 25, 2016 – Shelved as: mm
March 25, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary
March 25, 2016 – Shelved as: z-2016-200-299
March 25, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Ele (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ele I agree with everything! We 're totally on the same page.

Jewel Ele wrote: "I agree with everything! We 're totally on the same page."

message 3: by Fabi (new)

Fabi Now I have to read this one. Great review Jewel.

Jewel Fabi wrote: "Now I have to read this one. Great review Jewel."

Thanks, Fabi! I hope you love it, too :)

message 5: by Exina (new)

Exina Wonderful review, Jewel!

message 6: by Virginia (new) - added it

Virginia Cavanillas Beautiful review, Jewel! I'm not sure about this one yet but I loved your thoughts. ;)

Jewel Vir wrote: "Beautiful review, Jewel! I'm not sure about this one yet but I loved your thoughts. ;)"

Thanks, Vir! If you do decide to read it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)