Ns's Reviews > The Cove

The Cove by Catherine Coulter

Apr 04, 2011

it was ok
Read in April, 2011

I finally finished reading The Cove, and two things came to my mind: Good riddance, it's over and it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

I have to admit after the first few chapters, I almost gave up. Almost. Once I start a novel I'm determined to finish it. Sometimes it works out and other times it does not. At face value, it is a ridiculous story. The story was very chaotic, very random and at times messy. I had trouble getting into the story and even more trouble finding a sequence to things, a method to all this madness. Then, later it struck me The Cove IS a story about a woman escaping from a mental institution. From the way scenes were panning out I did get a sense of how her brain worked. Sometimes it was interesting but also tiresome, what will trying to decipher the going-ons of the story, subplots and randomness.

Although, Coulter does have a distinctive writing style, this novel is not a reflection of how she always write. That's the amazing thing about the author, you can pick another novel by her, same series or different, same genre or different and you could have completely different impressions.

I think the case with this novel was that it really did have a good plot/mystery but the execution didn't match up to it. The dialogue was corny and the characters lacked chemistry. It was Coulter's signature humour and wit that made this novel a better read, marginally. There were so many twists and turns I had to concentrate to keep up, which were the few good things about the story.

Sally Brainerd escapes from a mental institution and finds herself seeking sanctuary in The Cove, a picturesque town where only olds gols reside, her aunt included. She is the daughter of Amory St. John who was murdered. She's not sure exactly what happened but she is sure of one thing, run and run far. The FBI in the form of Special Agent James Quinlan is on her tail, confident that she is the key to his her father's murder.

There is something too perfect, too right about The Cove and the icing on the cake is that it is home to the World's Greatest Ice Cream. The community is small, comprised of old folks and everyone is nice as can be. Just peachy. Although, odd in all its perfection Sally has other things occupying her mind. Such as the mysterious screams she hears at night, finding a body, and another. She's no longer sure if she's going crazy or if someone is playing mind games with her, or both. It's up to Sally and James to sort through all the illusions and lies to find out the real killers and the truth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cove.