Lora's Reviews > Lover Reborn

Lover Reborn by J.R. Ward

4632071
Apr 04, 2011

bookshelves: g-pr
Recommended to Lora by: my obsession
Recommended for: fans of the series who love Tohrment
Read from March 27 to 29, 2012 — I own a copy

Verily, Ward, you hath redeemed thyself in mine eyes.

Lover Unleashed was disappointing for me on several levels. But I knew that, if Ward did it right, Tohrment's book had the potential to be the best installment to the series in a long time. I've wanted him to find peace and healing ever since that fateful scene at the end of Lover Awakened, but I knew it would take time. And now that his time has finally come, I'm pleased to say that Ward doesn't disappoint.

Tohrment & No'One:
I know a lot of people aren't happy that Tohrment doesn't get Wellsie back. I'm not happy about it, either. But save for getting Wellsie back, I believe Tohr was dealt the best hand possible in Lover Reborn.
Let me be frank: I had very little faith that Ward could pull a romance like this off. Seriously, Tohrment and Wellsie? Probably one of the most romantic couples I've ever come across in the PNR/UF genre. Their back story, the glimpses we see of their relationship in the first three books . . . how can you possibly follow an act like that?
Some of the sentences in this are like an assault to the solar plexus. There were scenes where I felt like I was chopping onions. Suffice it to say I cried a lot while reading Tohr's story. Man, Tohrment . . . he just . . . tears me apart. Truly.

As Tohr says himself, No'One could never replace Wellsie; but the emotional — and physical — connection between Tohr and No'One is undeniable. Tohr and No'One have a lot in common (each has been through a tremendous ordeal in their lifetime), they've meant in the past and spent an entire year in each other's company, and No'One is incredibly understanding and supportive of Tohr and his situation. I don't think any other female could've brought him back from the brink the way No'One did.
I didn't expect to like No'One as much as I did — I've never really liked the Chosen women, and although No'One isn't a Chosen, she's very similar to them. But she is humble, kind, and, underneath the shield she's erected to protect herself, passionate. Ward has surprised me before, and she definitely did in the case of No'One's character.

The best part about the romance in this is how slow it builds. One year passes from beginning to end of this installment, and Tohr doesn't give himself over to the possibility of loving another easily. It isn't until near the end that he truly opens his heart to No'One. (view spoiler)

Lassiter:
Can somebody get me a bib? Seriously, you can have all of the Brothers (except Z, of course; I got dibs on him a long time ago), just give me Lassiter! God, he just gets more interesting — and sexy — with each book. And when his own book is finally released, I'll be one of the first ones at the bookstore ready to trample over the other shoppers to get my copy.
And something tells me his book is going to be very similar to Tohr's and maybe even equally sad. If you're observant and you've read Hello, Old Friend and Book Order in the Brothers on the Board section of the insider's guide, then you know that Lassiter had a woman he loved who is now either missing or dead. There is also some hinting of that in this book. I don't know if Ward will have him get her back, or have him end up with someone else. Since Ward seems to enjoy torturing her fans, it'll probably be the latter.

John & Xhex:
Just as there was a lot of Vishous in Payne's book (for obvious reasons), there is a lot of John and, naturally, Xhex in Tohr's book. Their relationship gets tested and, similarly to Vishous and Jane in Lover Unleashed, they go through a real rough patch. One of the things I like most about Ward's couples is that, when their book is over, their story isn't. There'll always be new trials and new developments in her characters' lives.
There are some really emotional — and erotic (seriously, they get twice as many sex scenes as the main couple) — scenes with John and Xhex in this. Fans of theirs should be very happy.
And for John and Xhex, I'm sure the trials aren't over. When Murhder finally gets into the series full-time, I'm sure he'll shake things up quite a bit for them, as he is Xhex's former lover. Can you say cohntehst?

Qhuinn & Blay a.k.a. Qhuay (& Saxton and Layla, or as I like to think of them, The Third & Fourth Wheels): There isn't much Qhuinn and Blay in this. :( Neither of them get much page time, because John and Xhex and the Bastards hog it all take up the majority of the side story's time. Still, there are some good scenes with them — both together and individually --- and they do say absence makes the heart grow fonder. (Although I don't see how I could get any more fond of those two . . .) On the plus side, there aren't any lesser POVs!
Given the way chapter seventy-six ends . . . Qhuay's story must be soon. Very soon. Whether it will be a novella or a full installment remains to be seen. All I can say is, if it turns out to be the former, it sure as hell better be tome-ish, anyway. (view spoiler)
Oh, Saxton . . . Ward has hinted as to what will become of him in a future installment, and I'm pretty sure I know what it is and that all of his fans (including myself) will not like it. Especially since in Lover Reborn it becomes pretty clear that Saxton has fallen for Blay.
As for Layla . . . well, I won't give it away, but it is now very clear who Layla's HEA is. And despite the fact that I've never been a big fan of Layla . . . I'm very much looking forward to her story. (This is really because of the male she ends up with. He is all kinds of hot.) (view spoiler)

Band of Bastards:
I predicted in my review of Lover Unleashed that the B.o.B. (Band of Bastards) would most likely end up becoming good and each member would get their own book. Now . . . I still say that will happen, but I think it's going to take a while. I think it would be a good idea, because without them Ward doesn't have very many possibilities for future books. I think if it were ever to go in that direction, it would be a long time from now and a lot would have to happen in order for any of them to be ready for their own book. Ward actually talks about the B.o.B. in a YouTube video (specifically Xcor), which you can watch here. (Turn up the volume if you wanna hear what she says) (view spoiler)

Favorite Quotes:

"The quick and the dead are all the same. Everyone's just looking for home."

"She wished for Qhuinn this soldier. She truly did."

"Then again, he supposed the healing process, in contrast to trauma, was gentle and slow . . .
The soft closing of a door, rather than a slam."

"Our future has come."

In short, I enjoyed this installment very much and I'm happy that Tohr is finally happy.

Note: After I wrote my review, Ward announced who the next book will be about. If you want to know, click the spoiler.

(view spoiler)

My reviews of other titles in this series:

Lover Unleashed

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Reborn.

message 1: by Re (new) - rated it 5 stars

Re I really appreciated the review, especially the info on the upcoming installments and the positive approach to the series. I CANNOT wait till the BLAY book is out!! March 2013 is WAAAY to long to wait. Seriously!! But, a novela between Rhage and Mary may hold me over. LOL

message 2: by Re (new) - rated it 5 stars

Re BTW, what does HEA stand for Just not coming to me!

Jeffrey Re wrote: "BTW, what does HEA stand for Just not coming to me!"

Happily Ever After

message 4: by Re (new) - rated it 5 stars

Re Thank You! A little slow today!!

Jeffrey Re wrote: "Thank You! A little slow today!!"

No prob

;-)

BiblioJen Lora - excellent review, and you and I saw this book very much the same way. Like you, I didn't think Ward could sell the Tohr/No'One relationship, and darn if she didn't pull it off. Right pace, right tone, right emotional mix. Bravo on that one. I also appreciated the break from lesser POVs ... of course, the BoBs filled any void that might have created. Qhuinn and Blaylock? ARGHHHHH. Gimme. Just ... gimme. (I commented on your Book 11 review already.) :-) Thanks for sharing!

Lisa Just reviewed it myself - You don't just read this book, you experience this book! I read it, I lived it, I breeeeeeathed it.....I loved it! Phenomenal!

Krystal loved your review just finished reading the book and loved it one of my favs!

Winnie Krystal wrote: "loved your review just finished reading the book and loved it one of my favs!"

Is the a cliff hanger? bc I can wait until book 11.

Krystal Winnie wrote: "Krystal wrote: "loved your review just finished reading the book and loved it one of my favs!"

Is the a cliff hanger? bc I can wait until book 11."

Yea there is kind of a cliffhanger you def are wondering where a couple relationships are headed...

message 11: by Lora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lora Winnie wrote: "Krystal wrote: "loved your review just finished reading the book and loved it one of my favs!"

Is the a cliff hanger? bc I can wait until book 11."

As always, the main storyline (Tohr and No'One) is resolved. And, as always, there is the set up for the next book and other future storylines. I suppose it depends on how you look at it.

Tiffany Moody So maybe I'm crazy but I think that "autumn" actually is Throes sister...... Does anyone else see the possibility there?! He has a lot of good in him. He's a good guy who throughout the whole book his main goal was gettin his sisters ashes and doing a proper fade ceremony. Her family all thought she was dead so why wouldn't that be what he wanted to do?! Agree/disagree?!

message 13: by Re (new) - rated it 5 stars

Re Yes, I see the connection there. I think you could be right. Ward always leaves us with a few cliff hangers, just to keep us coming back. I. for one, cannot wait for the Qhuay book.

message 14: by Frankie (new) - added it

Frankie I thought that at first as well, but didn't he say he/the band of bastards got revenge on the person that hurt his sister. If Autumn was his sister thats not right cos it was Thor and Darius who got revenge.

Plus why would there be ashes, her family didn't want her back so there was should have been no ceremony performed, Thor buryied her. I supposed the family could have faked one.

message 15: by Lizz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lizz Fabulous review of this installment. You and I think alike on the plot.

message 16: by Nina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nina Happy to hear you like this one. I worry about series tanking by the 10th book.

message 17: by Rhagelovr (new)

Rhagelovr im so upset after reading bella and zsadists story about wellsies death, totally cried my eyes out! i have yet to finish the rest, only on book three!

Steffy Love the opening. I swear i talk to myself like that when reading this series lol

message 19: by M'JAY (new)

M'JAY Can someone tell if Darius( john) became king because isn't that wat he was sent for?

Miakoda I'm glad I'm not the only one whose eyes glaze over during lesser POVs

message 21: by Pebi (new) - added it

Pebi I am so impressed with this book, I hoped for something like this, tho, I did nt expect tohr's shellan to be Autumn, but man, I cried, wen I thought she had left for real, lassister is absolutely my man, qhuin nd blay aka qhuy, saxton and layla, I dunno wat to expect... But trust me, I'm inlove with lover reborn.. It ctually brought out my locked up emotion.. Thumbs up to j ward...