Mateja's Reviews > Half-Blood

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Apr 04, 2011

Half-Blood is the kind of book that you will read in one sitting. The characters and the story line will keep you turning pages until you read the last sentence. And once you finish you will be left with the kind of wonderful feeling that you can only get after reading a fully satisfying book.

The plot is fast paced and we are immediately thrown into the thick of it with the first chapter. Just when things calmed down a bit and I thought Alex could finally relax and deal with her past, an information bomb is dropped on her that makes her face some extremely hard choices and makes her future uncertain and filled with danger. And in the end she has to face the kind of reality that she wouldn’t wish on her biggest enemy. Except Leah. But maybe that’s just me.

The most wonderful aspect of this book are the characters. They all have such strong and big personalities that make them come alive. Alex reminds me so much of Rose for the Vampire Academy with her rebellious streak, stubbornness and willingness to jump head-on into action. Her banter with Aiden was just a treat to read. And there is no doubt the physical attraction between them. Every time they were together I wanted to yell »kiss already!« Their chemistry is undeniable and who doesn't like to read about forbidden romance? And then there is Seth. There is something about the air of mystery and danger that surrounds him, that makes him utterly appealing. He always tells it like he sees it, not caring about being rude, making Alex face the truth when no one else did. And Caleb is such a good friend to Alex always being there for her, offering her help and support. I love reading about girl-boy best friendships.

I hope we get to know more about Seth and the way things ended in Half-Blood I am convinced that we will. And I hope that what was said about Caleb’s future won’t actually come true because it would break my heart. I am so excited to read Pure, April can’t come fast enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.

April 4, 2011 – Shelved
September 29, 2011 –
page 105
September 30, 2011 – Started Reading
October 1, 2011 – Finished Reading

Kristina Snyder Let me know how this set is!!! I have been debating on whether to order it.

Mateja So far I love it, but it is very similar to the Vampire Academy series. A girl on the run from her school gets caught by the Sentinels that were send to find her and then she has private lessons with an instructor to catch up on what she missed. She then falls for the instructor even though it is forbidden. The half blood have only two choices in life, either protect the pures or work for them as servants. Relationships between the pures and halfs are a taboo....Ring any bells? It reads like the synopsis for the first vampire academy book. Though nothing's wrong with that since I loved the Vampire academy.

Kristina Snyder I love Vampire Academy!!!! That is one of my favorite series, and that does sound very familiar. I know books are always going to be something like the others, but that is too much something. That sounds exactly like Vampire Academy. Is it worth buying?

message 4: by Mateja (last edited Sep 30, 2011 08:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mateja Yes. Even though it a lot like VA it's still very good. The similarity between books, any books, don't bother me as long as the book is still good. While you're reading it you get the same feeling like you did during the VA. But i'm only a third way through. But people on Twitter are absolutely gushing about it. So I'd say it's worth the money and time.

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi Yes it's similar to VA, but still i love this book. You'll enjoy it, i have no doubts! :)

Mateja it never bothers me if two books are very alike, as long as the book is good, i'm happy. i'm not a picky reader.

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi yeah, i don't mind either as long as they're good.

Mateja i take it as a good sign when people compare new releases to old ones. that's why i bought starcrossed, even though in the end i didn't see much similarity between it and twilight. if people say sth is like twilight or VA i say bring it on. those are my favorite series. it won't put me off reading just because it's not unique. i'll be even more excited, to get back that feeling i had when i first read my fave series.

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi I totally agree with you! :)

Kristina Snyder I agree with you all. It gets tiring how everyone compares every book to Twilight. One book I read, someone left a comment on how it was like Twilight because the girl and guy were partners in science. I was like, oh come on!! I am not a picky reader too. As long as it is good, I'll read it. How many books are in this set so far? I'll have to order it.VA is one of my favorites.

Mateja you mean in the Covenant series? half-blood is the first and only one out so far, the second one comes out in April. no waiting a year for the sequel (which pisses me off).

Kristina Snyder Your tellin me!!! I just ordered it!!! Can't wait.

BlebeTanja vau. tvoj opis zgodbe je res čisto VA. Je vredno brat? ;)

Mateja ja. sej samo začetek je enak VA, potem se pa stvari zakomplicirajo na čisto svoj način. in knjiga je brez dvoma dobra, čeprav prva tretjina močno spominja na VA.

BlebeTanja hm, si najdla ebook na netu slučajn pa maš link? :P

Mateja nisn nč iskala. mam paperback.

BlebeTanja potem bom pa še neki časa počakala z branjem, razen če najdem paperback.

BlebeTanja :O očitno nisem dost temeljito pregledla neta. :@ :D hvala Monika!!!

Monika Ni kaj. :) Jaz jo že berem in je res super! :D

BlebeTanja Jst pa sam Lola and the Boy Next Door preberem, pa grem Half blood prečekirat. :P

Monika Hehe, jaz sem tudi hotla prvo Lolo, ampak sem pol raje vzela Half-Blood v roke. :P

♥Rachel♥ Great review Mateja! It sounds like there's a love triangle in this with Seth & Aiden?

Mateja Thank you :)

No love triangle yet. But I think there will be. She's not in love with both (yet), only with one of them. We'll see how long that lasts :)

♥Rachel♥ Did you read the prequel to this story?

Mateja No, I rarely read prequels or short stories.