Ryan Handermann's Reviews > Life Together: The Classic Exploration of Christian Community

Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

M 50x66
Apr 04, 2011

Great little book on Christian community! Very accessible and easy to read; a good reminder that community is only achieved in and through Jesus Christ.

I had mixed feelings about this quote here:

"Life together under the Word will remain sound and healthy only where it does not form itself into a movement, an order, a society, a collegium pietatis, but rather where it understands itself as being a part of the one, holy, catholic, Christian Church, where it shares actively and passively in the sufferings and struggles and promise of the whole Church. Every principle of selection and every separation connected with it that is not necessitated quite objectively by common work, local conditions, or family connections is of the greatest danger to a Christian community." 37

Bonhoeffer warns against trying to "idealize" Christian community. That is why he says people should not go on retreats to build community because it will give them a false idea of community. As in the above quote, he is saying that community needs to be with the whole church, not just a select group of elite people. I agree with this, but I also have great respect for monasteries and monkish things. The good work of monks have shown too much fruit for me to discount them as inappropriate practices for Christians. He says that part of the problem is that these elite communities often exclude the weak and insignificant. Yet, it seems to me, if a monastery is doing its job, they will minister with these people and be a part of them.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life Together.

Finished Reading