Carrie's Reviews > The Other Side Of Gravity

The Other Side Of Gravity by Shelly Crane

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley

The Other Side Of Gravity takes place on a planet where gravity, oxygen, and everything else are sold to the highest bidder on the black market, including people and the rules are highly enforced by the militia.

When Sophelia was a young girl her mother gave her a doll to celebrate her birthday, unfortunately this activity was illegal. Sophelia's mother was caught and taken away leaving Sophelia on her own and with no way to pay the taxes required of the citizens so she was sent to become a slave.

After years of being captive Sophelia finally finds a way to free herself and goes on the run. She escapes to a ship and stows away only to be discovered. Fortunately for Sophelia a young man by the name of Maxton comes to her rescue and helps her flee again.

The Other Side of Gravity is one of those books that I was left just wanting so much more when I finished reading. While the world building was somewhat acceptable there were just so many things I'd like to have been expanded upon or given more life to in the story.

The biggest portion of the read focused on the relationship building between Sophelia and Maxton who were a likable enough duo and I was somewhat excited for them to get to know each other. But with so much focused on them and with such an unique environment I found myself wanting more out of the read than the teenage romance.

Along with numerous little things mentioned all through the read that there was no further explanation the overall plot of Sophelia being on the run and her family's past seemed somewhat ignored. The last section of the book gave it a bit of attention but it felt a bit rushed and then ended rather suddenly. However, my curiosity was peaked a bit so I probably still would pick up the next in the series and hope the author expands on the world a bit more.

Overall, three stars, an OK start to the series that seemed to focus mainly on the relationship building. Would read the second book to see if the world and plot get more attention as it did seem like an interesting place.

I received a copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

For more reviews please visit https://carriesbookreviews.wordpress....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Side Of Gravity.

March 22, 2016 – Shelved